Palazzolo Acreide to Grammichele - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 5, 2023

Palazzolo Acreide to Grammichele

via Monte Lauro

Today we experienced a bit of Type 2 fun. You know, the kind that wasn’t really fun at the time…and maybe might be in retrospect, once you’ve fully recovered. 

Our day started well enough. We walked from our accommodation to Pasticceria Caprice, breakfast coupons in hand. The pastries were probably the best I’ve had in Italy and the coffee was good too. I could have sat there all day and perhaps I should have. We both liked Palazzolo Acreide; good vibes, I guess. 

We each chose a pistachio brioche and then went back for seconds of something else.
Heart 5 Comment 0
They do the fancy cake ones too. They look fantastic but we didn’t try any.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the street from the pasticceria
Heart 4 Comment 0

We loaded up and set off, then stopped less than 200 m from our start to put on more clothes. The fabulous sky we’d seen on our walk back to our room after breakfast was gone; clouds had moved in and it was c-c-cold. We had had the best view yet of Mount Etna, which appeared to be covered in fresh snow. Perhaps we should have paid more attention to that.

Our route started with a descent on a main road but we soon turned off onto a nice, quiet road. Down and up and along through beautiful scenery and the sun came out so we put away those extra layers. Then we started the major climb of the day, over the shoulder of Monte Lauro. This would be the highest elevation we’d reached in Sicily thus far. 

Green terraced fields across the valley
Heart 5 Comment 0
Had it been clear, I think we could have seen all the way to the sea.
Heart 5 Comment 1
We took a short break near this flowering tree. We were warm in the sun at this point.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Closeup of the tree’s flowers.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The view from beneath the tree
Heart 4 Comment 0
Interesting shapes in the landscape. I think this is Monte Rotondo.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. That’s really beautiful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
More terraced fields, following the contours of the land.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We’ve seen a few foragers along the roads and today was no exception. One fellow had what appeared to be wild fennel fronds (?) in his open trunk and another fellow, one of a pair wearing neon workers’ coveralls, was collecting what might have been wild asparagus, having parked their work van on the side of the road. 

As we came around a corner, we found ourselves in a strong wind, in our faces or from the side.  It was a cold wind, but we were climbing. And then I was wondering when we’d get to the top because it was cold even climbing and those clouds off to our left looked threatening. Al had pulled off to wait for me to catch up and we both added our vests and rain jackets (they do double duty as windbreakers on descents). He said that ClimbPro (a Garmin feature I don’t use as it needs you to be navigating a course) indicated another 1.8 km to the top of the climb. 

Before we had covered that distance, though, the sky opened and the rain started, increased in intensity, and then changed to sleet. Everything that wasn’t under the rain jackets soaked through. Al’s Garmin went crazy but mine still had the red line of our course showing. At our high point, we turned onto SP 11 and  hid under a short palm tree (!)  in the intersection’s island to get a bit of shelter to change to our warmer gloves and add toques. It would have been very difficult to add leg covers at this point so we didn’t.

Then it was down down down, slowly because the water on the road could mean it was slippery and we couldn’t really see, thanks to the sleet and the mist that had moved in. My brakes were howling and expressed my mood quite well.  Al stopped to investigate a different noise:  his tires were picking up the sleet and releasing it inside his fenders!

There are no photos of this dramatic part of the ride, not because my camera isn’t weatherproof but because I just wanted to get somewhere warm asap and my hands were cold and uncooperative. 

As we descended, we could feel the temperature rising and could see sunlight and blue sky off ahead. At one point the full width of the roadway was under water. We stopped to consider our options and then noticed a van coming towards us. It drove through the puddle (lake?) slowly but smoothly so we decided to go for it. I didn’t look down but I’m sure my feet were going in the water as I pedalled.  My shoes were already soaked so it’s not as though it made much difference.

We finally got out of the rain and stopped to add more layers. We were shivering so hard it was difficult to control our bikes. We ate some of the chocolates Al had bought as ride snacks and carried on. 

There it is, Vizzini! Hot meal, here we come!
Heart 7 Comment 0

It was uphill into Vizzini and the shivering had stopped by the time we got there around 12:30. It’s a sizeable town so we were dreaming of a hot meal somewhere but searched in vain for an open restaurant, pizzeria, or even a bar serving food. We gave up and headed for the Spar grocery store. Locked up tight; it closed at 1:00 and we arrived at 1:11. We could see a sign for a Coop so headed there. The door was open—to let the employees leave because it, too, closed at 1:00. We asked if anywhere was open to eat and none of the four of them could think of a place. The manager (?) then asked if sandwiches would be okay (yes!) and took Al in to get a couple and some drinks.  Not what we had been hoping for but they would do. We ate them in a tiny plaza before rejoining our route onward. 

The rest of the ride to Grammichele was along beautiful quiet roads, often in the sunshine, as though the storm had never happened. Only the occasional puddle for evidence. 

A closer look at Vizzini from the road in.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Vizzini’s main piazza features a tile-riser staircase—but no place to eat that we could find.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Cunziria. The sign said “Vulcaniti della Cunziria” so we thought maybe this village had been buried by an eruption in (relatively) recent history. But no, it was a tannery village built on lava that fell into disuse and was abandoned and is now sometimes used as a film set.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsHuh... a Sicilian ghost town. That's a new concept to me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Riding below the other side of Vizzini, having passed Cunziria on the right.
Heart 5 Comment 0
“Pillow lava” near Cunziria
Heart 6 Comment 1
Looking back up at Vizzini
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The road we were on had some slope stability issues. Some extended right across the roadway but we’re easy enough to get past on a bicycle or with a tractor.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsEvidently the road's not important enough to merit the expense of building retaining walls. Cheaper in the short run to scrape it clear when / as needed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsWe actually liked the dearth of traffic! We’ve also seen many failed walls.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Passing through Licodea Eubea
Heart 4 Comment 0
Starting the switchback descent from Licodea Eubea
Heart 5 Comment 0
I stopped to take this photo of the view down the valley…
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith Adams... and quite a view it is!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
…when I noticed a herd of sheep and goats were crossing the road through a culvert and coming up on the valley side.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Somebody was making sure I didn’t get too close!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Hard to believe the weather had been so awful not that long ago!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

In Grammichele, we are staying at the same place the Andersons stayed in 2019, Affittacamere Sestiere Santa Caterina.  It’s run by some young brothers and they remembered them. Quite nice, especially for the price, but we would have liked a bit more heat!  It wasn’t cold but we still were as soon as we stopped moving. 

Eventually we went for a wander to find potential places for dinner. Pizza it would be. This is the first town we’ve stayed in where that was the only option, but we knew it had to happen. 

The main piazza in Grammichele is hexagonal and streets radiate from it. It has a sundial theme.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Part of the giant sundial (we think)
Heart 4 Comment 0
This fellow is in a tiny piazza but still seems to be some sort of sundial.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was a good pizza. We didn’t share this; this was mine and I ate most of it. Al got the last piece.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonMy favorite pizza!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 834 km (518 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rachael AndersonWhat a nightmare! I’m glad you survived!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonWow, what an epic day! It sounds exhausting ll the way through but I’m glad you made it through safely. Isn’t Vizzini a lovely place though? I’d love to see it again myself.

So they really remembered us after four years? They probably don’t get many bike tourists dropping in on them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonI’m just getting over the cold that day triggered. We’ve just adjusted our route for Adrano to Zafferana Etnea to stay at lower altitudes!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI’m not so sure about Vizzini, the food-free town. But Grammichele was nice and they definitely remembered you when I showed them our group photo from Monte Pellegrino. Apparently you had Room 3; we were in Room 5.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetVery wise!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierI’m shivering just reading about your day! Good job getting it done!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsDEFINITELY a Type 2 Fun sort of experience. I'm cold just reading about it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago