Grammichele to Piazza Armerina - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2023

Grammichele to Piazza Armerina

Once again, we started our day with breakfast at a local cafe, this one owned by the father of the brothers. The pistachio brioches were very good, but not quite up to yesterday’s very high standard. 

Pistachio brioche and cappuccino. Typical Italian breakfast but needs to be doubled or supplemented for cyclists.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A morning view of the piazza sundial.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The indicator
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice to see it in such a favorable light.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The earthquake struck on 11 January but the city of Grammichele was founded only 3 months later.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It wasn’t that far to Caltagirone but our route seemed popular with stinky-diesel-exhaust-spewing trucks and cars. Dusty, too; we went past at least one cement plant and perhaps a sand and gravel business as well. Caltagirone looked much better once we reached the historic centre, but we didn’t really stop. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
We were both attracted to this sculpture
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI really liked it, too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A closer view
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride was beautiful after we got out of town. SP 48 was very pleasant but things got interesting on SP 216. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
On SP 16 here, this section had a good surface.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A little while later, it looked like this. Still rideable, though.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIsn’t this an amazing place to be though? Riding this ‘road’ was one of our favorite days of the tour when we were here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonAgreed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Al took this, looking back and waiting for me. I’m coming along at my own speed.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Distractions on the side of the road.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCabbage butterfly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieris_rapae
On a thistle, maybe milk thistle.
https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/530590
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I remember riding past this lonely poppy in the middle of the road!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Do we really need to go around the bridge? We’re on bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nope! We can stay on the “road”. Only half the bridge is missing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
What’s left of the bridge.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo! It’s so colorful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonThat’s Sicily. Colourful flowers and dilapidated infrastructure!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Funny. There wasn’t a sign like this at the other end. Whether we’d have paid attention if there had been…
Heart 3 Comment 0
We actually enjoyed the bad road, even the parts that were too rough to ride.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Truly beautiful views and no traffic at all.
Heart 7 Comment 0
These horses came to greet us near Mirabella Imbaccari
Heart 7 Comment 0

It was a climb up to Piazza Armerina, especially challenging for me because now I had a full-blown cold. I guess the chill yesterday reduced my immune system. 

Our accommodation, B&B l’Angelica, had contacted us and asked if we wanted to have their evening meal. Of course! we’d replied. 

Looking for the B&B, we saw this helpful banner. As it turned out, that was our room, with the banner attached to the balcony railing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entrance is in a very narrow street. Too narrow for cars.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Anne MathersI recognize that place. We stayed with Etore and Innes, too. We ate dinner with them in their kitchen and laughed ourselves silly for 2 hours while noshing on the incredible feast he made for us. He invited an english speaking (sort of) friend to join us. Using google translate made for a hilarious evening. It is one of our best travel memories! When we got up in the morning there was another massive spread waiting for us. OMG, what a guy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Anne MathersWe shared the meal with a German family and possibly the same friend. Unfortunately, my cold was in full swing so I’d asked to sit away from others. Al and I were at a separate table.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I stepped out on the balcony to get this photo but it was too cold to stay out there.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our hosts, Ettore and Ines, speak little to no English but are incredibly friendly. Ettore took us to the little lock-up he has (below the entrance to one of Piazza Armerina’s many churches and our bikes were secure for the night. 

It turns out he’s a retired chef; his restaurants didn’t survive Covid. But we benefited because now he cooks for the B&B guests. He has a tiny kitchen and dining area that seats 12 directly across the narrow street from the B&B. A multi-course dinner accompanied by his own wine for 35€ per person. Lots of food—he offered seconds of everything. The limoncello digestif was needed!

Antipasto #1: toast with mozzarella and mushrooms, spinach frittata
Heart 7 Comment 1
David MathersHey, we stayed with Ettore and Ines and had the full meal too. They had to roll me across the floor to my room, I was so full. We had a great night of laughs as we played pass the iPad for translation. Ettore was quite an accomplished marathon runner in his day
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Antipasto #2: eggplant parmigiana
Heart 4 Comment 0
The pasta: spaghetti with pancetta and tomato sauce
Heart 5 Comment 0
The secondi: meatballs. I had 2, I think Al had 5.
Heart 5 Comment 0
And dessert: blueberry crostata.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Margie AndersonThat was quite the bike route! Well done!! M.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 895 km (556 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonSorry to hear about your cold, Jacquie. Hopefully it improves before you climb up to Enna.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonAl’s got it now but we have a few days yet before Etna. That may be off the itinerary in any case due to the current cold snap. We shall see; weather can change rapidly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetSorry about your cold and sorry to hear Al caught it! It’s gotten colder where we are also.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetOur host here in Enna said it was quite warm until about a week ago and now it’s unseasonably cold. The forecast shows higher temperatures later this week. We’ve been using our down jackets every day (off the bike).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago