Day 1 - Belfast to Readfield - Sea to Sea - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2022

Day 1 - Belfast to Readfield

Today was a fabulous start to this journey - not a cloud in the sky, temps in the 60s, and a tail wind!  Thanks, Cheryl, for the drop off and Henry and Marty for joining me on the first leg.  

Marty, Bob, and Henry at Belfast on Penobscot Bay.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Cheryl wishing me well!
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were only 0.87 miles into the adventure when we encountered our first crisis - on a shift, Henry dropped his chain and it looked hopelessly twisted.  But after deftly releasing the quick-link by hand and with a flip of his wrist, Henry had it straighten out and we were on our way.

Completed repair.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This was a gearless day, since I was ending back at home.  The road bikes were light and swift as we rode mostly Rte 3 westward over rolling terrain with a few tough hills.  Although traffic was moderate, all drivers were courteous and the wide shoulder gave us plenty of comfort.

Rolling through Readfield at the end of the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow I will ride a fully loaded touring bike toward Bethel.  Thanks, Marty and Henry, for a great ride!

Celebrating the end of our day.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Deb SewallThis is fantastic Bob. I look forward to following your journey!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 63 miles (101 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Fred BeckSounds like a great start. Congratulations!!! Fred
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Henry WhittemoreThat was a great ride yesterday, Bob. So glad to have been able to join you, and delighted that the chain repair worked. We all wish you well as you start your journey. The weather these first days affords a most auspicious start for you! Fair winds and smooth roads!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve BallA great start Bob! With the weather working out as nicely as it is thus far you are in great shape. All the best, Steve
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cheryl RingThanks for sending me your blog, Bob. Your entry for the first day is very interesting, complete with photos! I do believe you will have perfect weather for the rest of your 90 days/3 month :-) trip!!
Cheryl
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robert PealeLooks like a good time was had by all in spite of the initial glitch. A good omen for the entire trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago