Day 6 - Florac to Meyrueis - Schnooks Tackles the Tarn - Tandem Tour - Sept 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2023

Day 6 - Florac to Meyrueis

Heart 1 Comment 0

Another short day, due to lack of accommodations/restaurants and the fact that it was Sunday.  This day had some work in the 34km, though.

We left the Tarn river yesterday as we rode into Florac.  Today’s ride followed the Tarnenon, a tributary of the Tarn.  The route then climbed over the Col de Perjuret into the watershed of the La Jonte.  The Col, at just over 1000m, would be the highest point in this trip.  It’s also the turnaround point as we’re now head back toward Albi.

The climb up the Col is modest:  5km at an average of 6.5%.  But we’re below-modest cyclists, so some strategy was involved.  We (gasp) set an alarm for 0700 to get an early start.  There didn’t look like we’d have a lot of tree cover on the climb, so we wanted to get over it before the day heated up.

After our usual breakfast in the room, we retrieved the bike, loaded up, and were rolling at 0840.  Very impressive, for us.

Ready to go , bright and early
Heart 3 Comment 0

Only problem was:  It was COLD!!  Even in the sun!  We stopped to add layers and told ourselves that we’d appreciate the coolness later.

We worked our way up the valley through a series of shorter climbs interspersed with flat sections. We stopped to snack on some tiny blackberries that were growing along the road.

They were good!
Heart 4 Comment 1

We passed through sleepy Vébrun on a beautiful, quiet road and took a long break in even sleepier Fraissinet-de-Fourques at the base of the col.

Things got serious before we even left the village, with a couple of hundred meters of 10%+ just to show us who was in charge.  We huffed and puffed up the switchbacks at the edge of town and thankfully the grade backed off to between 5 and 8.  Occasionally it would throw a bit of 8 and 9 at us just to keep us awake.

We took 2 breaks on the way up.  The first after about 2km, the second at about 3.5km.

Taking a break on the way up
Heart 4 Comment 0

Luckily as we approached the top it got a bit flatter.  And the views were great, which helped to distract us a bit.  We also got a “Bravo!” From a descending roadie, which also helped with our energy. 

Nice visuals looking back to the northeast
Heart 5 Comment 0

And then, we were there!

Heart 7 Comment 4
Michael HutchingWell done! I’ve often wondered about tandems and cols - is the energy input from both parties equal and can you tell?
Bonne Route! Michael
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Michael HutchingHi Michael -

I use power meter pedals but Robin doesn’t, so I can’t tell you how our power input compares. But I doubt the energy input is equal. I’m just a lot bigger and stronger than Robin is. What the tandem does is more like averaging our power.

But all of that is secondary to us. We see riding a tandem as an exercise in teamwork. And it’s that teamwork that appeals to us.

After all the years of riding together, we feel like a single unit pushing against the resistance of a hill or the wind. We keep getting better at it, too, which just increases the enjoyment. There’s no sense of “you vs me” to us.

And one of the big pluses is that we both get to the top of the hill at the same time!

Looking forward to your next adventure!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonCongratulations on making it to the top!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rich FrasierKeith and I were wishing we had asked you this when we had dinner as we were wondering how that works. That is a great explanation. We are lounging in our Florac hotel room waiting for it to warm up a bit and I am rereading this to live it before I ride it 😳.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

After celebratory pictures, we headed down the other side.  A beautiful ride, punctuated by a meeting with another tandem couple on their way up!  It’s always fun to meet and chat with fellow tandem crazies.  We compared notes and gave each other recommendations for the road ahead.

Descending the col
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

With the early start, we arrived in Meyrueis about 15 minutes too early for lunch.  But no problem - the friendly staff at Le Sully got us seated and we were all set.

Lunch at Le Sully in Meyrueis
Heart 4 Comment 0

Meyrueis is a third the size of Florac, but what a difference!  On this Sunday lunchtime it was rocking.  Lots of people, open restaurants, and some stores open to catch the almighty tourist euro.  If you have a choice between the two towns, stay in Meyrueis.

After lunch we were still too early for our 1400 checkin, so we wandered around for a bit and then chilled on a park bench until it was time.

Chilling
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our hotel, the “Hotel Family” is just up the street from all the restaurants.  It’s an older building but the rooms are new and very comfortable.  It’s associated with the Logis de France group, which we find to be good hotels for our travels.  (When we’re not staying in castles LOL)

Hotel Family
Heart 3 Comment 0

Since it’s Sunday night and we’re in a town of 800 people, we’ve booked dinner in the hotel.

Now for an afternoon of laundry and rest.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 274 km (170 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Mark BinghamWhat a great day!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott FenwickWe loved our cycle tour along the Tarn and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a wonderful ride and it has been great to see this area again through your blog. You have been so fortunate to have such nice weather every day. Great climbing today and I look forward to following your route plan back to Albi. Best of luck.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rich FrasierThanks, Scott! It looks like our run of good weather will end on Tuesday. Maybe we’ll be able to dodge the worst of it. We plan to be back in Albi on Thursday.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonBeautiful photos!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago