Up to Aspen and back - Following the rails - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2022

Up to Aspen and back

Basalt to Frying Pan Valley

My first camp
Heart 0 Comment 0

On an overcast morning, the Rio Grande Rail Trail climbs to Aspen. However, for some reason there are a few short sections where the rails are still here. So I have to briefly divert away, with some short sharp non-rail grade climbs.

As I approach Aspen, regular private jets are taking off from the nearby airport, while the trail suddenly changes from paved to gravel.

Still it's a nice ride and in away is more enjoyable ride as it curves around a hillside high above the Roaring Fork River. Soon a trail ranger, explains to me that due to muddy landslides, the trail occasionally is washed away, so a paved surface is no use here.

Once the trail is at river level, the pavement returns and is the most scenic part of the ride as I'm now cycling through a tree lined path.

Once in Aspen, the trail goes around the edge of town and cross creeks on old steel rail bridges, but it ends unceremoniously.

A few times, rails are still here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random train carriage beside the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dirt part of the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The best part was approaching Aspen
Heart 0 Comment 0

One thing missing from this trail is that apart from one information panel at Carbondale. There is no historical information on the railroads history. While there are a couple of historical panels on the short rail trail section of the Midland Railroad Company. Which briefly travels west of Apsen.

As for Aspen it self it feels like a nice place to visit with plenty of parks and cycling infrastructure around. Including cycling lanes on many roads.

Old rail bridge in Aspen
Heart 0 Comment 0
More information on the Midland Line than the Rio Grande
Heart 0 Comment 0

I could explore further around but instead after a couple of hours I'm descending back to Basalt on a sunny day. It's so much quicker, that I often don't need to pedal.

After taking a cycle path off the trail, I'm soon into Basalt proper.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending back through the dirt section
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quicker ride on the way back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Basalt
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Midland Railway company came into Baslat from the east before splitting, with a branch heading to Aspen and another to Glenwood Springs. It was the quickest way to get from Denver to Aspen but the railroad went bankrupt in 1920. Therefore other than the depot in Baslat now being a bank, there is no evidence of the railroad except the shape of some streets where rails use to go.

East of town, the Frying Pan Road use the old rail route to travel beside the river of the same name. With red cliffs on either side, it's a spectacular ride at a gentle gradient.

As the valley expands houses begin to appear on hill sides and soon my turn off to my Warmshower appears.

After a couple of short steep roads, I make it to Paul's wooden house, which has nice views of the valley I just cycled. While an afternoon storm looks likely.

Paul and Lu have never hosted before but make me feel welcome and offer great advice on my route tomorrow following the Midland Railroad over Hagerman Pass. They also have plenty of local history books, I can peruse.

The old depot in Basalt is now a bank
Heart 0 Comment 0
Following the Frying Pan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching my Warmshower hosts home
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the Frying Pan Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0