So Far, So Good! - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2018

So Far, So Good!

The hospital had asked us to come at 6:45 a.m., but we characteristically got up too early and got there too early. They themselves were a bit late. Probably they had given an earlier time to make really sure we would be there by sometime after 7.

The surgeon came along to say hello and she signed the knee. I think that is a requirement, to make sure everyone agrees which leg is going to get cut off! I was pleased to see that she was bright eyed and wide awake (unlike us), and told her so. She didn't quite see why that would be significant to me, because in fact I think she could do this one in her sleep.

Dodie was saying that after a year of eager anticipation, she was now suddenly apprehensive. But there wasn't time to worry unduly, because they quickly whisked her in.

I was left to trail on home, where I guiltily, but gratefully, went back to sleep. I had been told not to bother coming on back until the patient had left the recovery room and was up on the ward. I called the ward before noon, and they casually said they had not received/been ready for any surgical patients yet. Check back in two hours, they advised.

So I jumped in the car and drove right up there. As I approached the hospital, now I began to get nervous. I had no idea what I would find. But on the ward they said "Yup, we have her", and I came into the room with Dodie chatting amiably with the lady in the next bed.

Whew! Even better, Dodie showed me her toes wiggling, proof positive that the leg had been well "glued back on". That is not just a turn of phrase, but a good indication of my total lack of medical knowledge. Dodie later gave the opinion that maybe it had been screwed back on. we don't really know, but we're sure glad that surgeon knew what she was doing.

All ten toes wiggle! The scary red is just antiseptic. The "x" is a little disconcerting. I prefer if they would mark any legs they intend to keep with a "tick" instead.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Sue PriceAt least it is a small x! When they did my ankle surgery I think he wrote his whole name out on my leg in permanent marker - took me a long time to get it out!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Dodie also demonstrated that she could bend the knee, and she said the pain was minimal. But that was before some of the freezing wore off. Later she did need some meds, but in no case was it worse that what she had experienced in the past two months.

With a walker, Dodie made her way to the washroom, bending the knee enough to make the forward progress. But we haven't seen any physios yet - maybe tomorrow. Dodie is really motivated to make a quick recovery. We also told the surgeon this morning that we wanted her to optimize the knee for cycling. She just laughed.

Any other time we have stayed in accommodation away from home, we have scrutinized any supplied food for what we can squirrel in our panniers. This time I convinced Dodie to eat the whole thing.
Heart 5 Comment 5
Laurie MarczakLooking good mom!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonGreat to see that smile! Best wishes for a full recovery!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltEagerly awaiting updates! Good to see that grin!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceDodie, you are amazing! So glad to know that all is well!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekDid they offer you any delicious canned chicken? Or delicious Keebler peanut butter snack crackers?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Jacquie GaudetBest wishes to Dodie for a speedy recovery—and then a second new knee!

Jacquie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamSo glad to hear it all went well. Good luck for a quick recovery. Let me know when you can bend your knee more than 90 degrees - the first goal.
Love
Tricia and Ken
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jonathan HechtSounds good. Get well soon so you can do it all over again!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakI’m pleased to see they didn’t put it on backwards!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakAh yes, because then a walk to the bathroom would put her out the window on the other side and onto the driveway.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
david alstonFinally, what a relief, we couldn 't be happier for you both. Now just a lot of hard work but that is nothing new.

Tricia's goal is a 90 degree bend, Maun's initial goal was getting the crank on her bike (stationary, but her bike) all the way around. Took two weeks and it was a joyous day.

David and Maun
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo david alstonIf I have it right, turning the crank all the way is 110 degrees, so Maun's standard is tougher than Tricia's. Both seem far off, after a tough day today, but progress should accelerate!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago