The Long Road Back - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2018

The Long Road Back

We were pretty cocky yesterday, with the pain being low and Dodie showing how the knee could bend. Cycling friends, like Erika Paxman, Tricia Graham, and Kathleen Classen - knowledgeable and experienced - warned that tougher times were coming, at least for a week.

They were right, and today Dodie had lots of pain and the knee not wanting to bend hardly at all. The nursing staff had been somewhat clueless about which of the various pain medications to use when, and the pain was definitely out of control this morning. Dodie did get a shot of hydromorphone, and then struggled to stay awake until the physio would appear. So far the physio department had not shown up.

But someone did come, and they started off with the 'kindergarten" exercises - the ones in the book for before the operation had even happened. The main one of these is to be lying down and to use a towel or sheet around the ankle to pull the knee into a bend. After a bit they got the knee to 89 degrees - a good start.

When Tricia had written that the first challenge was to be able to (unassisted) bend by 90 degrees, I got on my bike to see just how much bend is used in cycling. It is surprisingly a lot, depending on seat height. The physio guessed it at 110 degrees. She also said that pretty much full flex is 130 degrees. It will happen, in time.

I showed Dodie a picture in the exercise book of going up one's first stair. But she said she was not interested in learning to climb stairs. All she wants to do is cycle! No wonder this blog is on Cycleblaze.

The physio will be back this afternoon, and promises to assign some further moves. Dodie feels she should stick in the hospital a day more yet, for pain control and access to the physio. It will be a bit of a long pull back onto the bike!

The long pull. The dial says 89 degrees!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Ardell Siegel I know you are tough but this definitely does look painful! I know you are tough I know you are tough I know you are tough… Serious best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamThat is a great bend Dodie. One really good way to help is to sit on a chair with your foot on a skate board and gradually roll the skate board back and forward. Your next challenge will be the stationery bike with the seat at its highest level you just rock the pedals back and forward. An amazing sense of accomplishment when you get the pedal right over. took me almost 4 weeks last time. Knee replacements aren't for whimps but are certainly worth it in the end. My article on that other site gives a very honest account of the progress with my fight knee
Love
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceShould be easy to find a skate board or even an over board at your place ...
Gute Besserung.
Michel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qfYWDEMSf4
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonPatience! I know about the knee bend problem, from my experience with a ruptured quad tendon a decade ago. Different operation of course and with a longer recovery - your knee is kept immobile for about the first month, but it takes time to get full flexibility back. Mine eventually improved to 170 degrees (close to my pre-injury flexibility), but I was still experiencing swelling for nearly two years.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesAh yes, it's hard to be patient. We have trails to ride, and whole countries left unexplored!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceBack to the Future hover board, though, would need the modification as shown. Better to get a used skateboard from a kid who has outgrown the sport and does not know he may need it again in fifty years.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is some very small improvement today. One big thing for peace of mind is that we have now developed a system to manage the meds - dosages, times, and tracking what was actually taken when. This is the first time in our young lives that we have had to deal with piles of vials.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago