Slowly Closing on Square One - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2018

Slowly Closing on Square One

Perhaps unreasonably, we look at square one in this recovery as the time when Dodie will be able to rotate the pedals of her trainer bike once. She is not there yet. But to be fair, there has been a lot of good progress since the previous entry, that was titled "What a Pain".  Since then, there is no more wincing when just sitting still, and the heavy drugs have been replaced by lighter drugs, which are now going to get tapered down and out!

Three visits a week to the perceptive and gentle physio are helping a lot, and Dodie is diligently doing the prescribed movements. But still, the pedals are not going around. Doing that takes a flex of perhaps 110 degrees. Dodie can quite easily do 90 now. The physio has predicted that the first rotation will happen next week. Dodie says the week after. 

This leg got up there backwards, not by going over the top. But still, it's a good bend!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenHooray! That is exactly how are son started out (ACL surgery) and his physio said biking is the best for knees. I assume that applies to new ones as well as repaired ones.
Kathleen
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltProgressing! Keep it up!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

I loosely calculated that one of our tours requires 5 million spins. But who is counting!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Tricia GrahamSometimes going backwards is easier than forwards
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamNot only is that a philosophical statement but it could really be true on the trainer. (Of course on the road you have to go forward or you will fall over. I think both you and Kathleen demonstrated that this time out!)

Steve
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonI think I will never forget the moment that I first made it over the top. Very frightening, actually - I was afraid of the pain, and that I would break something. Once there though, everything started progressing quickly. Looks like she’s doing great to me.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceHere is a bike to pedal forwards but looking backwards.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cycleblaze-resized/392/1482670_DSC05511_2000.JPG
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceSo close! Looks like you are making great progress, Dodie!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyDodie,
You are such a warrior! The knee is looking great! A far cry from Day One!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago