What a Pain! - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2018

What a Pain!

Saturday seemed like a good day, with Dodie flexing that knee, and riding the rolly chair. But Sunday - much swelling and pain. No chance of bending anything, and a day of pretty active suffering.

We checked some credible looking internet sites, and came up with all kinds of opinions about how long how much pain would persist, how long drugs would be needed, how long they recommended crutches, canes, and the like.  But all  the sites seemed to agree that it would "normally" be months (and months) before things were back to normal.

Dodie was consoled on Sunday by the knowledge that Monday would be a visit with the very supportive PT, Jessica. We would ask whether the pain and swelling was "normal", and whether Dodie should try to flex the knee despite it.

For the past three months Dodie has never been under a 4 on this scale, and she has averaged 6, with spikes to 9.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jessica's answer was forthright. She thinks this particular leg has/had problems that are making recovery slower. She is guessing six months before it is strong enough to be the "good leg" when the other one is operated. It will be some weeks, she thinks, before Dodie can really start with the standard knee flexing exercises.

Yikes, six months of help from Jessica could be really, really costly. And a recovery that takes that long would put quite a kink in cycling plans. Still, ever optimistic, I an thinking that once Dodie is able to spin that bike crank, she will take off and recover well.

Still, we have some tools to use right now. Jessica showed me how to massage one of the tight muscles.  And we found that heat on the ankle helps, even while there is ice on top of  the knee and beneath the calf. And finally, there is Fleurie the cat. Cat's radiate invisible healing  waves, as everyone knows!

Fleurie, the secret weapon.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Tricia GrahamOnce you can spin that crank you will be off. Ice ice ice is the real answer to pain even get up (ie get Steve to get up) several times in the night to renew it
Love
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakThe preferred pain scale of course is this one:

https://goo.gl/images/UCVt73
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakCute, but don't you think one should start out smiling, at 0, and keep up that appearance maybe up to 2? Some additional important phases include whining at others, before lashing out, to be followed by the well illustrated introspective melt down!

The surgeon used a two position scale as her greeting in the one week post operation appointment. "Do you hate me?"
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamTricia, Dodie woke me up to read your comment (1 a.m.) but went to bed, leaving me to make myself pancakes and be stuck awake reading the blogs!

But you are right, and we have now added ice underneath as well as the ice water cuff on top. Strangely, heat on the ankle is also helping.

Steve
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamGary (my surgeon) said ice both on top and under the knee more important than pills and to do it before the pain level rose. I used frozen peas!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesAh yes. I saw one web site that was at pains to point out - don't eat the peas after!

Steve
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceSorry, but this is real pain :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0WGLYkAu7Y

Michel
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceSome random comments about the "pain":
- What a large and nice boulangerie. Do you think the guy works alone, with Martine? It seems like space for several workers.
- Did you see how big some of the "boules" the guy was making were!
- Don't you think he should have baked longer, for browner results?
- The bakery is near Macon, but I could not find it with the Google stick man.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marilyn DennisonDodie, I had motorized pump submerged in ice water all housed in an igloo cooler for my knee and back surgeries. By now you are probably doing better but for your next knee get one. Also, that leg needs to be elevated somewhat. Swelling is so painful.

Steve, let us know how she is doing. I keep checking and no new posts. I know being a caregiver is a lot of work and stressful. Just post a sentence or two in the comments.

We are thinking of Dodie and you and hope progress comes quickly.

Marilyn
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marilyn DennisonTo Marilyn DennisonThe ice water was pumped through a cuff around the knee.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago