Backing Over the Top - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2018

Backing Over the Top

The physio said it would happen this week, but we were  doubtful. Still, Dodie kept getting on the bike and trying to spin the pedals.  Actually spin is a misnomer. The best she could hope for would be to get the bad leg up to the top of the stroke, and then to sneak over without tearing anything.

Somehow it's easier to get up there when pedaling backwards, not quite sure why. But that's where Dodie was this morning, backing up to the top. And then zoop, she was over and down the other side!

Readers not paying too much attention could be excused for mistaking this as a description of the Classens on the Stelvio Pass, what  with climbing up the backside and zooping over the top.  But quickly, maybe also like the Classens, Dodie followed this up by attacking head on, pedaling straight over the top!

Of course, that is just one revolution (ok, two). But we know for sure it will be followed by more. There is no telling exactly when one will become ten, and when she will cycle on the trainer 1 km, 10 km, 20 km. But now, we can see it coming more clearly. 

We are three weeks and three days out from the operation. From what we have heard from others, this milestone is a little late in coming. But that only increases its importance.

Looking ahead to those 1, 10, and 20 km spins, the road looks very long. Worse, once this leg is whipping around, it will be time to cut the other one.  But in a sense it is the same as with a long road trip. If you think of all the endless kms it seems like it will never happen. Then all too soon you find yourself on the plane going home, and planning the next ride.

At least in that we can cling to an arithmetic insight first written to us by Tricia Graham - you only have two knees!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Tricia GrahamYou are away now ! Just don’t break your ankle
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mike AylingWell done Dodie!

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
david alstonFantastic, and just the news we were waiting for. Keep it up.

David and Maun
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks David, Maun, Trica, Mike, Kathleen, Sabrina, Josh, Keith, Michel, and anyone else who has written! Support like that is very encouraging!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceWonderful news!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marilyn DennisonWay to go, Dodie. You will quickly make progress if you don't overdo it. We are thinking of you and sending our best wishes for a smooth recovery.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesToo late, Marilyn! Dodie was so thrilled, she went to an eye appointment for an hour, then we walked around a store for an hour, and went out for lunch. Result - she has been lying with her leg up, unable to pedal, for the last day!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marilyn DennisonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat sounds like something I would do. Maybe it was worth it. We will see once the swelling subsides. It is so painful.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGlad the progress continues!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago