Mind Over Matter - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2018

Mind Over Matter

An important theme in this story of a cyclist's recovery from a knee replacement has been the uncertainty about what generally to expect, when.  There are questions about what kind of drugs should be taken, in exactly what pattern,  how much pain and swelling is "normal" week by week, and what physio movements are desirable week by week vs. what could re-injure tissue and leave more internal scarring.

Somewhere in the background are websites from various orthopedics clinics and practitioners, helpfully laying out all the things that could go wrong, and (since these are U.S. sites) detailing the complicated and expensive remedial surgeries that could be needed.

That's the background as we pick up the story of Dodie's triumphant ten revolution run on the trainer, described in the previous page. Thinking back, we did not notice any particularly severe consequences from having done that. In fact, the next morning there was an eye doctor appointment. Dodie sat through that, a long hour on a chair with knees at 90 degrees, no problem. In fact, she did so well that she suggested a walk around a local box store (pushing a supportive shopping cart). And after that - an elegant (seated) lunch at A&W.

Well, that did it! By afternoon, there was no way those pedals were going to go around on the trainer. That was a Thursday. Then Friday, Saturday, Sunday - nothing. Dodie could get the pedal almost there, but there was just too much tightness to get it around.

Websites helpfully talked about complicated "revision surgery" if the implant has failed or if you generally are experiencing too much

  • infection
  • continued pain
  • knee stiffness
  • wear
  • instability
  • loosening of the implant or mechanical components

But a more immediate worry was simply over tearing muscle by pushing through pain.  At this point Dodie started to despair of ever cycling again. "Maybe we should just sell our bikes. It's all over", she said.

Part of the problem was that Jessica, the gentle but authoritative physio was away until Monday, which is today.  Today, Jessica delivered a pep talk that must be a classic in sports coaching. First she was reassuring that bringing that pedal around would not harm anything, and in fact was absolutely required at this stage. And if increased swelling resulted? Ice it, elevate it, and soon enough, go for it again!

Then "Let's go for a walk" said Jessica. "But, what are you doing with that stick?", she demanded.  "It's only the one, I used to need two!", countered Dodie. "Throw it away", was Jessica's proposal. "And why are you limping?  Pretend you are a model, or balancing water on your head".  And Dodie did it.

Back home, and back on the bike, Dodie tried pushing through the tightness. And what happened? See for yourself:

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Bill ShaneyfeltWay to crank! Mind over matter. Pain is your friend. Your PT sounds top-notch.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceLooking pretty professsional there - almost like you’ve done this once or twice 😊!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenLooking good!!! Keep on spinning and ride on !
K and K
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mike AylingJessica is a master of her trade.
Keep it up Dodie!

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamKeep on pedalling!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakBest update ever!!

And we missed our call with you twp because of technology fail. Try again tomorrow? Get google hangouts installed already!

2.2
Reply to this comment
5 years ago