The Montreux Promenade - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2023

The Montreux Promenade

...and no biking!

A wonderful, glorious, sunny day spent strolling along the quay along Lac Lemand.  First, featuring Marjory's shot of the moon out our balcony door at 2 am. 

A 2 am shot.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Breakfast was not done in haste. And I found a Thai massage place less than 1km away that could take me right away. Found my first stop of the day!.

A man of leisure.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Marjory later met me on the promenade. The temperatures were in the high teens, the sun was out but few people yet.

Walking along the lakeside.
Heart 5 Comment 0

This micro climate is unusually warm. Those are palm trees in Switzerland! The gardens along the walk are unbelievable in their variety and profusion. We walked in total about 18 km today.

More promenade!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Queen had a recording studio here, and Freddy had a residence. This statue is one of the most photographed places in Montreux.

Freddy Mercury.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In fact, there are many statues and street art exhibits along the quay. We were left wondering what many of them were about, but they were all pretty and often quirky.

Lots of street art. A whale fluke or a seabird?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The lakeside has many little alcoves like the one below where you can feel totally alone with the lake in front of you, and completely private.

Many quiet coves along the promenade to hide in.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A quick check in the local grocery and we found 2 kinds of Cremont (Champagne method wine not produced in the Champagne region). We can get Cremant de Loire in Canmore, but not the Alsace variety. I will have a bottle in my pannier tomorrow!

omg. They have 2 kinds of Cremont in the grocery!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back in our hotel before venturing out for dinner and I have a Facebook message from a friend of 28 yr ago - when we lived in Vietnam. Nigel Brockett and Mike Hancock and I toured northern Vietnam (Sapa) together for ~5 days backpacking. Nigel and I have been Facebook friends since then, but have never seen each other since. Nigel and Viv now live in Montreux, and we had a fantastic time catching up over some liquid refreshments. Say what you like about Facebook, but in what other world could this happen?

Friends from almost 30 yr ago.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The sun was going down on Lac Leman as we took a few photos of each other to remember. What a day!

The sun goes down on a happy day.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0