Preparations - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

Preparations

First, full disclosure, the cover picture is of Alberta, not of Switzerland! It's from a hike we had this summer near our home of Canmore.

Once again, we are training near our home and sometimes wonder why we take a trip to bike somewhere - it is really a beautiful place to bike.

Lake Vermilion, about 5 km from downtown Banff.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We plan to ride most of the way along the Rhone river this year. We fly from Calgary to Amsterdam, then to Zurich. We'll assemble the bikes in the Zurich airport, then take a train to Zurich and on to Andermatt. That first "day" of travel sounds like a killer!

The first cycle out of Andermatt is called the Furka Pass, and although we have friends that have done it, I would say we are at 60% that we'll give it a try. Were at 25%, but...... take a look at youtube if you want to see why!

Furka Pass on bikes at 90 kph

Those two guys are crazy! On the other hand, if you want to see why it might be a good idea to bike this section.....

Beautiful Furka Pass - this is why we should do it

We received encouraging words from riders who had done this pass before...I'm looking at you, Keith Classen and Kirsten Karsoo! So we have tried going up a few times on Norquay Ski Road; we just might try the Furka.

We have not been able to train as much as we would like for this ride, but still look forward to being back in the saddle. With 2 weeks to go before our flight, we have bike boxes finally (harder to get this year) and are making last minute hotel changes. Once again we decided to book all hotels, as travel remains robust in Europe. We are trying an autumn trip this time as last year was so hot, but that means we have to carry heavier clothing.

We will use the Komoot app once again for trip planning and turn by turn guidance. As our Rhone route is a shorter route than last year's trip, we are staying a while in Avignon and Nice and will ride day trips from there. We also plan to visit the SSC (Superconducting Super Collider) in Geneva when there, a highlight for this physicist.

I'll do my best to have daily blogs once we begin. Glad to have you along!

I figured out once again (have to relearn each time) how to take apart the bikes for packing in the boxes. I did forget to unplug the front light on mine, hope it works when it all goes together in Zurich! Nonetheless, they are packed away and dreaming of Switzerland.

My bike boxed up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith ClassenThe Furka Pass video is wild (crazy!!!!). We had planned to take the train over the pass but circumstances were such that we were able to ride over it. One of our most memorable rides. A link to that day https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/europe4/oberwald-to-andermatt-up-and-over-furka-pass/
Enjoy your tour … look forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Patrick ParnoWow, Keith, a great entry you made. And super photos. hmmmm, maybe we should try it. Like I said, only 75% no. There is a small possibility....your comment is appreciated.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks for sharing the video - breathtaking!
I'm looking forward to the journal of your trip - even if you do skip the Furka Pass. And if you do take on the Furka, hopefully your speed will be a tad slower.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Polly LowThe Furka Pass really is beautiful: it is long, but never too crazy steep, and you can hum the James Bond theme all the way up! (The cafe by the station at Gletsch is a nice place to celebrate surviving the descent too -- excellent Aelpler Macaroni, from memory... [These are my Cycle Touring Priorities, nb!])
Reply to this comment
7 months ago