Montreux to Yvoire - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2023

Montreux to Yvoire

I resisted Marjory's request to stay another day in Montreux, but the view out the window this morning was just as captivating as yesterday.

Lac Leman making it hard for us to leave.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We followed along the waterfront for quite a ways, then cut across through that bird sanctuary (Les Grangettes) past Villeneuve which made for wonderful, cool riding with zero traffic.

Again, through the bird sanctuary.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDid you see any of the birds in the sanctuary?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoActually, we saw a lot of mallards, a few herons. Nothing amazing. Great cycling trails though!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We then  came to cross the Rhone where it empties into Lac Leman. The river looks so muddy, the lake is so clear. I wonder if they dredge the entry point?

Where the Rhone enters the Lac.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cross the bridge and head through an agricultural area on our way to the Rhone. When people think that we bike "along the river" all the time, it is really only about 65% of the time, some days much less.

Super bike trails through the farmers fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we are biking the south shore of the lake, we soon enter France. The north side is Switzerland. We do get back to the lake finally, and ride along it.

Had to capture the flags although the border is actually a km or so back.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The road certainly had some busy, sections with no shoulders for us or bike trail. There were also numerous sojourns away from the lake (read uphill) so we got in a workout for sure.

At least 15 km of this type of riding.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHate, hate, hate it. You get to choose-hit by a car if you pull left or ditch in the lake if you pull right. Uggghhh.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoYeah, but really the cars were pretty polite. The buses weren't too bad. Some trucks though.... I feel like nobody wants us. The drivers think the road belong to cars, the pedestrians get annoyed when we're on the sidewalk!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Marjory was determined to get an Evian t-shirt - she always looks to buy that brand of water, but it was not to be. The Evian complex actually has a formal visiting protocol where you park and enter for 2 hr. We demurred, but where is the gift shop?

Marjory searching for the Evian gift shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the other hand, through the town of Evian for several km we had amazing bike paths right along the lake.

Now that's a bike trail!
Heart 4 Comment 0

More road for quite  while away from the lake, and finally a bike path.

Getting close to Yvoire, this is Thonan les Bains.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrive at our hotel, and Marjory waits with the bikes while I check in. Probably my least favourite part of bike touring is checking in and out and schlepping the bags every day. 

My bike (and Marjory) patiently waiting for me to check in.
Heart 4 Comment 0

However, this place had the checkin down to about 20s and a closed garage for our bikes. AND, a Michelin restaurant for dinner. OK, so who booked all these hotels?

Finally, we get to the room and I remember that I had stashed that bottle of Cremant d'Alsace in my front pannier (what, you didn't think I would leave it behind?). So I am sipping as I type. And then its dinner at Le Pre de la Cure. See you tomorrow in Geneva!

Oh, look what got into my front pannier!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Anne GallagherWas Yvoire busy with tourists? When we rode through the town, having caught the ferry from Nyon, there were a huge number of tour buses. John looked after my bike, while I took a quick look at the village, but then we continued on our way.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoTo Anne GallagherIt was not crowded that we saw while we were there. Of course, its late season right now. However, our restaurant was full, and afterwards we walked through the walled section and all restaurants looked full. Then this morning we had the place to ourselves (around 9:30 am) but as we walked around more and more people surfaced. But just as we were leaving the arch, a busload of people entered (50?) so I think we just timed it right.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 301 km (187 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0