Roussillon and Gordes - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

Roussillon and Gordes

Another day without biking, just seeing the amazing Provence sights! We started out with a trip to the Halle Gourmande, to stock up on food for the next couple of days. It is very much like having a daily indoor market available, but add in lots of prepared food, not just fruit and vegetables.

The Food Hall in Avignon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

To give you a sense of scale, Marjory is trying to choose one fromage chevre (goat cheese) and you can see about 1/2 the ones available in the photo below.

Really hard to pick one!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then off to Roussillon, the town that mines ochre - used as a paint colour. Red is the most famous, but they seem to have all colours available - red, orange, blue, green, yellow and everything in between.

The ochre of Roussillon
Heart 2 Comment 0

The town itself is charming with photo opportunities around every corner.

Matching purse.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The town is clearly well off, and all the stone houses are taken care of very well. Lots of brightly coloured shutters and doors to contrast with the stone walls.

I just liked the door.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Rather steep roads, and imposing entrances meant you must be fit to live there!

Not exactly accessible to all!
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the top there was, of course, a church. Not impressive at all, but the views of the landscape there were outstanding.

Not another church!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We came across this store which sold balsamic reductions, and love that still out front - the cooling coils were a give-away.

A balsamic still.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then on towards the main event which was Gordes, we stopped on the way at the Julien Bridge. Under it was a dry river, which clearly had seen some strong currents at some time in the past.

Pont de Julien.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was, of course, built by the Romans.

where's waldo?
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the approach to the center of Gordes, there is this lookout where everyone gets their picture taken. It was on a fairly narrow street with temporary parking, and people were pulling in non-stop. I cannot imagine how they cope in the summer time when the crowds are peaking. Now, in the off-season, it was still rather chaotic.

Gordes
Heart 3 Comment 0

The old town center was fairly compact, and was at the very top of the hill. You could walk all the way down through the town, but we took just a short walk around to see the cool buildings and peaks of views to the landscape far below.

If we go down there, we have to come up again, right?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we found a quiet spot for a petit verre, at a very high end hotel. Marjory says it was the most expensive aperol spritz she has ever had, but the view...oh la la!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0