Orange & Chateauneuf-du-Pape - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2023

Orange & Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Today a quick trip to Orange and one of the most famous of wine AOC's, CndP. We started out with a train ride to Orange, and I was tickled to see this in the Avignon train station. The sign says "for you to play"! I didn't.

dans la gare
Heart 0 Comment 0

We quickly found the theater. I was expecting a stadium like Arles or Rome, but this was a pure theater with a stage and backdrop. Seating held 10,000 (skinny) people. Not sure how many it would hold today.

Orange Theatre Anciene
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then its off to Chateaufneuf-du-Pape. Very well kept town, wine tasting signs everywhere. Not many tourists this late in the year, which we welcomed! Clearly there is lots of money here.

CndP streets
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started walking up the streets, pausing to look at the houses along the way. There was the remains of a chateau at the very top.

up we go
Heart 1 Comment 0

Still up...

Chateau up ahead
Heart 2 Comment 0

And then the view from the top was very impressive with Mt Ventou as the backdrop.

view from the top
Heart 0 Comment 0

They also showed all 13 varieties of grapes used in the wine, and I was surprised to find out that while the classic mix of Syrah, Mouvedre, and Grenache does occur, some of the more expensive wines were pure Grenache. I wasn't as fond of them. Take a look at how rocky that soil is. Not what you would think would grow the best anything! Some of these older vines are 60yr old.

the 13 grapes
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then worked our way down through the cute town, had a glass to celebrate the occasion and came home to Avignon.

rue d'eglise (church street)
Heart 0 Comment 0

That's all for today. Tomorrow it is off to Gordes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0