Avignon - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2023

Avignon

A short bike ride around the environs of Avignon, as it was very windy today (35 kph). We had tentative plans to go to Pont du Gard, which has fallen off our triage list as we leave tomorrow for Nice.

Across the bridge there is an island in the Rhone which allows great views of the walled city. Although we didn't really venture out into the greater Avignon, there is everything you need (as a tourist) inside the walls including the train station - just outside the main gate.

Here are a few pics from across the river. First you can see the walled city to the right and this old bridge which doesn't quite make it across the river.

from atop the same bridge where we entered a week ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Biking across the bridge this morning was super windy, but there is a double wide bike lane that we missed going into the city a week ago that made it very easy to traverse. Not too much in the way of bike traffic this morning.

a sign like Banff!
Heart 1 Comment 0

You could see tourists accessing this part bridge already this morning.

The Pont du Avignon only crosses partway across the Rhone.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is the Pont where On y Dance, like in the song.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The route along the river goes for quite a ways. Lots of joggers out and some bikers too. I think this would be the area to live if you were staying in Avignon rather than trying to negotiate the narrow streets of the walled city.

Further along the route opposite the walled city.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we take an early train to Nice, France. Sad to leave Provence and so much still to see here!

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 791 km (491 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0