Day 4: Heidelberg - Worms - 30 miles - Rhineland adventure with friends - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2023

Day 4: Heidelberg - Worms - 30 miles

Cycling through beautiful German towns

Heading into Ladenberg
Heart 1 Comment 0

A gentle rain was tapping on my hotel room window when I woke. Soon after, it cleared. I went to unlock the bike and got soaked in a sudden downpour. The sun came out and the day only got sunnier. 

It was easy to get out of Heidelberg. In a few blocks, I was on the trail along the Neckar River which led us out of town. It was more of a farmland ride today. Only a few kilometers out of Heidelberg we came upon a automated farm market. A shelter had a vending machine with automated bins containing baskets of fruits and veggies.

So many choices
Heart 2 Comment 0

A few kilometers more found our group in Ladenberg. This was a spectacularly beautiful village for a coffee and cake break since it was around 10 am. The bakery did not disappoint. This is what touring Europe is about, sipping coffee on a village's marketplatz surrounded by buildings built in the 1600s. 

Coffee and cake in the marketplatz outside of a small village's bakery, this is what touring Europe is all about!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The EuroBike app was was usable during the complete ride. I did have voice directions for a little but that disappeared. The directions were spot on. 

I found myself in Lampertheim at lunch time and found a bakery with a nice selection of sandwiches. It was only 10 kilometers of cycling after lunch to Worms. We crossed the Rhine with the impressive Worms city gate ahead. Google Maps delivered us to the Asgard Hotel in a convoluted manner as it seems that it always does. 

Climbing over the Rhine and passing through the Worms City Gate
Heart 2 Comment 0

First a cold pilsner from the hotel bar, a shower, and a catnap. I headed down to the marketplatz which actually was not as impressive as most other cities. The group searched for a dinner option and we settled on a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant. Ice cream followed on the walk back to the hotel. 

Landenberg, Germany marketplatz
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's Trivia

In 1521, Martin Luther defied the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V by refusing to recant his writings and was excommunicated by the Pope. He was called to Worms, Germany, to appear before the Diet (assembly) of the Holy Roman Empire and answer charges of heresy. Refusing to recant or rescind his positions, Luther was declared an outlaw and a heretic.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 214 miles (344 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0