Day 3: Germersheim - Heidelberg - 33 miles - Rhineland adventure with friends - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2023

Day 3: Germersheim - Heidelberg - 33 miles

Sun + no wind + flat paths = fun, easy cycling

One of many beautiful churches in small villages that I passed by today
Heart 0 Comment 0

It truly was a beautiful morning as I pedaled out of Germersheim down the hill to the bike path. Almost immediately I encountered the first and only closure of the day. It had an easy go around. I soon cycled across the Rhine once again. 

The first miles were actually the most miles I cycled this week along the Rhine. The river was wide and slow moving. As with the previous days, the cycling was mostly flat farmlands with few villages and cities. I cycled into Rheinhausen where Martin Ebner Bäckerei Konditorei caught my eye. It was time for a pastry and coffee. 

Cold beer on a hot day after cycling into Heidelberg
Heart 1 Comment 0

I got a surprise today. The EuroBike app began talking to me. It was not consistent at some turns where it didn't say a word. I resorted to using the map in the app. Once again we were facing a busy expressway what no bikes were allowed. Two local cyclists came to our rescue. We were standing on a cycle path that went to Heidelberg. We abandoned the app and relied on the cycle path signs which were excellent. 

I counted down the miles as we cycled mostly through woodlands from about 10 miles out of Heidelberg. I could see Heidelberg ahead on a seemingly long six mile approach to the city. Google Maps delivered us to the doorstep of the Ibis Hotel adjoining the Heidelburg train station. I celebrated the ride with a beer in the lobby. 

Cherry cheese pastry and latte while people watching on the marketplatz
Heart 0 Comment 0

Showered and refreshed, the group headed down to the old town. Ellen and I opted to have coffee and cake at a quaint coffee shop on the markeplatz, one of the best times of the tour so far. The others joined us after for dinner at Vitter, a German restaurant that brews beer. It was an excellent recommendation from the hotel front desk clerk. I was adventurous and ordered the wurst salad, a plate of thinly sliced wurst in a German flavored marinade with red and green peppers, red onions, and olives. It was absolutely delicious. 

Yummy wurst salat
Heart 0 Comment 0

The group finished the day strolling through the city gate to the bank of the Neckar River. It's one of those places in every city where people flock to at sunset. The bus took us back to Hotel Ibis. This was the best day of cycling so far this week. 

City gate at the Neckar River Bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fountain and statue at the center of the Heidelberg marketplatz
Heart 0 Comment 1
Al BurnardWith the castle on the hill as a backdrop!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Flags lining the strasse to the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting baboon bronze statue on the Neckar River Bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's Trivia

Heidelberg was spared by World War II bomb raids. Many German cities faced severe destruction during the Second World War, Heidelberg was largely spared by the allied bombings. Historians presume that firstly the city wasn’t seen as strategically important and secondly that the US had already eyed on establishing a garrison here after the end of the war.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 247 miles (398 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0