Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland, Bonjour Paris - Rhineland adventure with friends - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2023 to July 17, 2023

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland, Bonjour Paris

Leving the Rhine and a visit to the City of Light

Heading to Paris somewhere in Germany
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Uber ride to the Cologne train station signaled the end of my time on the Rhine. Cologne was the perfect city to end my two weeks exploring this river. Cologne is a big city with much to offer visitors: shops, dining, history, and beauty. 

It was an uneventful train ride to Brussels where I boarded the TGV high-speed train to Paris. The Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) station was the end of the line for my day's train journey across Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France. 

Study in light and angles from the Hotel Ibis Style
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was only a short walk from the station to my hotel, Hotel Ibis Style. The airport hotel zone is nicely designed at CDG. Many hotels are in Roissy-en-France. It is on the airport grounds between terminals 1 and 2 on the airport's rail transportation line. The TGV station is only a few hundred feet walk, as is the Paris rail/subway station.

First sight of the Eiffel Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0

I opted to relax on my arrival. My group ventured into Paris early the next morning. It was a little more than an hour's train ride into the center of Paris. Paris has an extensive city transportation network that needs to be studied before departure. Luckily, a friendly local helped the group choose the correct train lines and stations that took us to the Eiffel Tower.

Paris from on high
Heart 0 Comment 0

Exiting the train station, we walked with a growing hoard towards the Eiffel Tower. The 90-minute wait was worth enduring the crowds when the elevator climbed the tower. The clear skies yielded breathtaking views of the city. The group opted for a Seine River cruise after a pricey lunch in the highly traveled tourist district.

Beatiful day to see far
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading back down the Elevator
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cruise was an excellent choice that allowed us to get on and off the boats at eight stops oriented to the main tourist attractions. We opted for the Notre Dame stop. It had a nice neighborhood to explore and the opportunity to buy a crepe from a bicycle food cart for only 3 euros. Our other stop was at the Louvre where we explored the plaza.

Apricot crepe near Notre Dame from a bicycle food cart
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day ended with a train ride back to the hotel with no issues. It was an easy trip to the airport terminal from the hotel the next morning. The flights were on time. I had a problem in NYC when my boarding pass would not print. I resolved the issue and boarded the plane to Columbus just in time. 

Cruising the Seine through Paris
Heart 0 Comment 0

My trip ended with my ride home. It is always exciting to travel. Returning home is always welcome. I am resting and will summarize this tour in the coming days.

Goodbye for now Paris and Europe
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's Trivia

Charles de Gaulle saved France in several times of crisis. He made a significant contribution to the liberation of France from Nazi Germany in World War II, which made him a war and national hero. After World War II, de Gaulle was the leader of France in some of the tensest periods, between 1944-1946 and 1958-1969.

Good morning from Ohio and the farm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltWelcome back to OH... We've kept it warm. And humid. And smokey.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago