Monthermé to Sedan. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2018

Monthermé to Sedan.

Entering more remote territory as the off road cycle path is about to end.


August 10 Friday 51kms

Monthermé to Sedan.

Entering more remote  territory; the off road cycle path is about to end.

Cool southerly and skudding clouds for most of day. Nice easy pedaling along this dedicated path on the river.

Monthermé- looking across the river from our accommodation of choice, Hotel Boucle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monthermé is in a pretty location surrounded by hills of green and rust.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cycling companion at Joigny-sur-Meuse.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Find bread at Charleville-Mezieres when everything is closing at twelve. It's a biggish town, but we cannot figure the centre, so bread alone it is.

Pass the division to the canal des Ardennes which goes to Rheims.

Montcy-Notre-Dame
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nouvion-sur-Meuse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dom-Le-Mensil
Heart 0 Comment 0

The outer edge of Doncherry has a supermarche, and something to put in the baguette, and a dry grass park in which to shelter from the breeze and have our picnic.

At Sedan we see the camping on our right but follow the signs for Office  of Tourism. They take us up the hill and around the magnificent yellow limestone fort which guards the town. The main O of T is closed today and the Palace of a Prince houses the supplementary one. The woman in charge assures is the Meuse path ends here. We feel a slight moment of unease. Lost in translation? It appears that we simply continue on minor roads.

Handy laundrette en plein air.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sedan Fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Recording the death of Augustin Trebuchon the last French soldier to die in WWI. Tragically, 10 minutes before the clarion sounding the Armistice.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Our immediate needs are satisfied at a Carrefour Express, then we go  through the golden stone medieval arches and over the bridges to Camping municipal. It’s a camp covering a large area and we score a park bench and have a civilised dinner a deux. We chat to our neighbour, a young French woman who is cycle touring.

We are at a stage of this trip where we need to feel confident of our interest in what we are doing, and know we have the energy to do it. We’ve enjoyed the Meuse Route so far but might look at a change of direction in a day or two.

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 3,090 km (1,919 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0