Waulsort to Monthermé. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2018

Waulsort to Monthermé.

From heatwave to wetwave.

August 9  Thursday 61kms

 Waulsort to Monthermé. 

From heatwave to wetwave.

The squall which threatens our breakfast on the terrace has abated by the time we join the cycle path across the canal for a fresh and glistening ride.

The French section of La Meuse route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hastière-Lavaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Givet-Heer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Givet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This section of the Meuse enters more isolated country, although we count off the towns of Chooz, Ham and Givet. 

Chooz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the river at Chooz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vireux-Wallerand
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back in France again. Dark clouds above hurry us to the centre to seek shelter, and as the lightning fizzes and thunder booms, we find  it in the shoe shop entrance. Apres le deluge, the next priorities are the Boulangerie and the bike shop. Ann's rear tyre is losing pressure but the manager of a local velo for hire inflates it and shows concern.

Full of air, we speed along the paved Voie Verte. The wooded hills of the Ardenne rise to "Mont " heights, but our way is near the river which has worked a steady path through them. Their colours are autumnal and the river reflects the pale sky. A heron takes off from the bank and we follow it for some time.

Haybes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fumay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Revin in the rain - wet, wet, wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we wind up and through Le foret des Meuse the downpour builds and persists. There is no point in stopping under the bridge with the huddle of hikers, and again we are thankful for our Ground Effect jackets. We decide to race on to Monthermé. The final 10 kilometres we do at pace on a perfect track.

Monthermé rises steeply on both sides of the river and foregoing the pleasures of camping tonight, Michael heads across the bridge to the Hotel Boucle. Its two star status belies a smart room with a kettle and fan heater in bathroom to deal with wet gear. Home and dry you might say!

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 3,039 km (1,887 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0