Sedan to Doulcon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2018

Sedan to Doulcon

From Green Lake Camping to thunder in Verdun.

 August 11 Saturday  55kms

Boulangerie hunt resolved in Mouzon, miss best beer museum in the world,  and The Green Lake Camping late night disco. 

Leave Sedan latish and find  the river path easily. Easy going until Romilly Aillicourt when the off road path comes  to an end and we are on the road, quiet though it is. The route is now quite different from the Trans Ardennes, having opened out to wide vistas and some up and down hills as well as long gradual climbs.

Villers-devant-Mouzon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beyond Sedan. Great views.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mouzon provides us with a boulangerie directly over the road from the magnificent abbey in the centre of town. There’s certainly no pain about the pain au raisins- lots of raisins and custard- tres filling! Apart from this the town seems deserted, though we find the Carrefour and stock up on potatoes and salad vegetables for dinner.

Mouzon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidence of bullet damage on church tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop and scene of a miracle- a boulangerie still open after midday!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mouzon- now....
Heart 0 Comment 0
....and then- 1913
Heart 0 Comment 0


There are a number of memorials and evidence of war like the pillboxes we pass. Sadly we miss Stenay and its beer museum, but continue through open country. Walnut and apple trees abound and damsons are also plentiful.

Beaumont-en-Argonne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mont-devant-Sassey-sur-Meuse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
12th century Romanesque church in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We  pass the Sassey-sur-Meuse Romanesque church, high on a distant (for tired cyclist) hill, until arriving at Doulcon where we book into Green Lake Camping. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The popular waterslide.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The green lake looks a little murky but it’s full of swimmers and has a spiral slide which hurtles children, and a few adults, into the murk at high velocity. Smoking and camping seems an unusual mix, but here it is indulged in with alacrity. 

We select a quiet pitch, and organise our Marmot while small gangs of very active children play around us. We dine on sautéed potatoes, tuna and cucumber salad and relax amid the ambient noise that accompanies life in a French campground. 

Sleep doesn’t come too easily as a thumping dance beat intrudes on dreams of hilly climbs and riverside riding.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,145 km (1,953 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0