Wednesday 7th August FAREWELL DENMARK - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2019

Wednesday 7th August FAREWELL DENMARK

Getting to Gedser

Leaving such a pleasant campground and heading into the unknown can be difficult- part of you would like another day. The morning is clear and after another chat with the German family we head south down what is actually the island of Falster. Gedser is the southern most town in Denmark and the terminal for the ferry to Germany. Plans have been suggested for a bridge or tunnel between the two countries, which would make it the world’s longest- 40-45kms. It was at Gedser that the German WW2 invasion of Denmark was initiated.

Instead of following Route 9 all the way , we make some judicious cuts zig-zagging southwards until we eventually join the trail at the coast. The route takes us through small villages not unlike English towns with a church and the odd shop. Still plenty of ‘TIL Salg’ signs for unwanted household items though- even in the middle of nowhere!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the coast, shallow and stoney, families are swimming- we paddle. We meet a French couple, he is from India originally, who are towing their 3 year old. His little buggy is filled with books. I guess cathedral views may not be so great at ground level. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail continues through a patch of forest and then we reach Marielyst, the place we’d decided on for lunch, and the skies, having grown gradually darker, open up on us. Since we are only 20kms from the port, we decide to keep going.

It’s wet all the way. At Gedser we just have time to buy tickets, before the ferry‘s arrival. We cycle into the hold with about 10 other cyclists and park our bikes. As we do, we chat to an Aussie chap of about our vintage, but with longer hair, from ‘Tassie’. He’s been cycling the fjords of Norway- solo. He has all NZ gear- Avanti bike, Kathmandu clothing, which he tells us is long lasting and durable. Once we find a seat we eventually excuse ourselves and spend some of our last Krone on fries and sit drying out in the cafeteria. When we return to our seat the Tassie guy is in deep conversation with a German couple who seem to understand him. We sit and read for the rest of the trip. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Disembarkation and finding the cycle way to ‘zentrum’ is easy and eventually we are ensconced in our hotel near the station.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 350 km (217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mary HutchingHes right about Kiwi gear. Macpac and Kathmandu all the way.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago