Friday 9th August. 56 kms. Baumgarten to Krakow am See. Best of the wurst in Gustrow and a swim at Krakow am See. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2019

Friday 9th August. 56 kms. Baumgarten to Krakow am See. Best of the wurst in Gustrow and a swim at Krakow am See.

August 9 Friday 56 kms. 

Baumgarten to Krakow am See. Best of the wurst in Gustrow and a swim at Krakow am See.

A fairly leisurely day as we head towards the Muritz National Park. We breakfast well in the al fresco kitchen and charge up with good coffee. Fransiska tells us a quicker way to get to Gustrow without having to return to Butzow. It’s on quiet roads- most major roads seem to offer a cycling alternative for ‘those who know where to look’. Fields of grain have been replaced by maize and a green sort of fodder crop. In Gustrow we try the bratwurst and it’s not bad - a slight improvement on your Kiwi sausage sizzle, though the margin is slim. No onions, just a choice of mustard or tomato sauce. Gustrow has an interesting old cathedral, a Schloss and a stately Rathaus.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon the trail enters the forest. This is mainly pine and oak, but there’s lots of it. It’s easy to see why forests featured in scary fairy tales. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Arriving at the campsite at Krakow Am See we head for the lake for a swim. The water is clear and fairly warm . On our return to our tent. We find we have neighbours - some Canadians who are heading north. They are incredibly well equipped even down to having a light fold down table and folding cots for sleeping. It’s good to chat to some other ‘colonials’ and compare notes. Our other neighbour is also Canadian  and she  is travelling with her small dog who sits in a basket on the rear carrier of her bike. She has been cycling in Finland and other parts of Scandinavia.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dinner is over just in time - we close up the tent, the threatening clouds open up and the rain descends.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 474 km (294 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0