Saturday 10th August 75kms Krakow am See to Boek on Muritz See - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2019

Saturday 10th August 75kms Krakow am See to Boek on Muritz See

Saturday 10th August 75kms  

Krakow am See to Boek on Muritz See

Despite last night’s rain, the morning sky is clear as we pack up. Our neighbours donate us some milk for our coffee and then they head north. The little dog jumps into her mobile doghouse (the top of it doubles as the owner’s chair) and she’s away too.

The morning ride to Jabel takes us through kilometres of forest. Pine on one side of the trail and oak on the other. It does eventually become monotonous but we turn onto a road with a cycle path.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Before Jabel we stop for a break in the grounds of an old church. It has a beautifully simple interior with high vaulted ceiling.

Heart 0 Comment 0

From Jabel it’s more forest until we reach Waren at the top of lake Muritz. It’s a town that has retained many of its old buildings,  painted in a variety of colours and has an attractive centre square. A wedding is being celebrated with much jubilance. Waren also very popular with tourists and Germans on holiday. German children return to school soon, (they seem to have shorter holidays than their French counterparts) so they are making the most of time left. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We lunch beside the boat harbour at Waren after a supermarket visit, though we resist the temptation to try a fish sandwich - a local specialty, only because we have supplies already. We meet our Canadian neighbour with her dog, for the second time in the day. She is happy to have found a bakerei, there being no shops since we left Krakow am See.

From here we decide we can make the campground at Boek, about 20kms down the lake, as the Berlin-Kopenhagen radweg has no camping for a long way. It proves to be a very pretty route on forest paths but different from this morning’s rather repetitious trees. These are green and leafy and the path twists and turns. There also many cyclists out, returning from day trips. 

We reach the campground and check in. A swipe card is needed for everything, including showers and any hot water. We find the only space left for our tent and set up. Every one is very friendly in their greetings and we chat briefly to our windsurfer neighbour. There are many windsurfers on the lake edge at the end of the campground but the water is very shallow for quite a distance so we make do with a paddle. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner is pasta and whatever leftovers Ann can rustle up out of the foodbag. Then it’s showers and sleep to the sound of the breeze in the tall birch trees nearby.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 550 km (342 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0