A day to sightsee in Koblenz - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2016

A day to sightsee in Koblenz

We have been in Koblenz several times before but we have never had the opportunity to sightsee.

The ferry to the city was right next to the campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
The distinctive skyline of historic Koblenz and a river cruise boat tied up on the bank.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful view of the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle River from Deutsches Eck on top of the statue of Emperor William I. Our campground is on the left from which we enjoy a great view of the skyline, fortress and this statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The distinctive, eye catching statue of Emperor Willhelm I has a commanding presence on Deutsches Eck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This equestrian statue was destroyed during WWII by American artillery and a replica was reinstalled in 1990. As seen in the excerpt of a German poem on the statue,this iconic image represents unity and was rebuilt after the reunification of Germany in 1989 with three pieces of the Berlin wall installed next to the monument.
Heart 1 Comment 0

"Nimmer wird das Reich zerstöret, wenn ihr einig seid und treu" (Never will the Empire be destroyed, so long as you are united and loyal)

Riding the cable car across the river and up to the top of the cliff to tour the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campground and the "barrel" cabin we are calling home for the next few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a thrilling ride it is to be in a glass enclosed cable car to enjoy the Rhine River. It is quite different to riding alongside the river on our bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Exploring the fortress of Koblenz on a very hot day. It is always a bit weird to sightsee on foot after having had our bike as our constant companion for so long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry entering the main gate of the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Duelling pistols in the museum at the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are excellent temporary exhibits at the museum. We particularly enjoyed this one featuring a history of tobacco and its consumption in Germany. This photo features the changes in advertising over the years for tobacco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful German Shepherd puppy caught our eye.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is lots to explore at the fortress. We walked for miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down from the fortress at the mighty Rhine River (note the cable cars), Deutsches Eck and the Moselle River stretchig in to the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Emperor Willhelm I confidently astride his horse as seen from the fortress.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bathroom adventures continue, even when we are sightseeing. Mary Ellen got lost in the fortress trying to follow these orange signs. Success at last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And down we go - what a great view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rhine River is an impressive working river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue in the centre of Koblenz shows the 900 year history of the city. Each tier represents a century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen many impressive statues in European cities and villages. This one in Koblenz was most interesting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that we are back in Germany, we are craving a "proper pulled pint" and some tasty German food. We found this pub on a side street and it is just what we were in the mood for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sauerbraten, dumplings and purple cabbage - yum!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Altes Brauhaus - a good place for lunch and a comfortable spot to rest from walking and the heat of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another great statue in Koblenz - a version of the Ark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quirky details of the animals on the Ark.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It may look like this creature on the Ark is smoking, but the pipe is part of the fountain and must be plugged.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the user friendly, interactive elements of the Ark fountain that kids could enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the passenger ferry back to camp, a long but satisfying day exploring Koblenz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0