Koblenz - we've come full circle - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2016

Koblenz - we've come full circle

We awoke at camp feeling pretty relaxed about our day ahead. Camping Rheineck once again proved to be a good place to stop for the night. We like this well run small campground off the beaten track of the busy Rhine region.

It will be an easy ride to Koblenz along the river today, so we aren't rushing to get on the road. It is a bittersweet feeling to know that once we reach Koblenz, that our cycling part of the journey is complete, except for a 25 km ride back to the farm from Limburg. Our plan is to camp at the campground in Koblenz, do some sightseeing and then return to Limburg.

Camping Rheineck - a good place. It is the only campground where we have stayed that cyclists are given a gift of a bag of jujubes and a postcard upon check in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading in to a tunnel under the road - Barry gives a thumbs up as the gate is not a problem for him to navigate around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This crane from the 1600's embodies for us the historic working history of the Rhine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not far to go - it is a hot and humid day. We are glad to be by the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode the Rhine Cycle Route a number of years ago. This time we will only be riding about 50 km as far as Koblenz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we get to Koblenz, we will be at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers. We will have come full circle as we started our trip in June at Koblenz riding down the Moselle River. Note Lahnstein - this is beginning of the Lahn River where we will be riding the train to get to Limburg on the Lahn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An historic gate where we will cross through to access the village from the Rhine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many tourist boats on the Rhine. It has been a stormy day and it hasn't cleared yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found it interesting to ride alongside this busy port along the Rhine - what a busy working river this is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Germany has committed to a cessation of all nuclear energy by 2022 as a result of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at this village for lunch and discovered that the carnival is in town. Locals were dressed for the occasion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Plum cake at the bakery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This group of campers pulled up in front of us and stayed for the night. It was most interesting to watch the organizers create a camp quickly for about 30 people. Thankfully the bus moved and they were pretty quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pull out table with banquette seating and the huge bed made us feel like we could stretch out in comfort.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our "barrel" cabin is surprisingly spacious and comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 3,042 km (1,889 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0