Leaving Island time and back to the real world - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 22, 2022

Leaving Island time and back to the real world

Upper Sugarloaf Key to Everglades National Park

We were packed and out early this morning as we left this paradise on our way to Everglades National Park. It was a long drive north through the Keys, especially through Islamorada but at least we were moving vs those heading south as they were literally at a standstill. 

The ocean was pretty but there was nowhere we could pull over with the trailer to enjoy the views. We both said that we were happy with only spending a few days in the Keys. Biking is minimal and we were fortunate to find islands wide enough that had side roads. It's very expensive down here from camping costs, gas, and food. Key West is interesting but very crazy and busy with tourists. Had we been here a few more days we might have gone out to the Dry Tortugas NP and Don could have taken a fishing boat charter. Oh well, another time maybe. 

Today our campsite was located in Everglades NP at the Flamingo which is the furthest point south in the park. It was 41 miles from the turnoff just to get there with absolutely nothing in between. In addition to the campground, there was a marina store and visitor center. 

The campground was very nice and quite large with lots of space between the sites, but there is only electric hookup so we'll have to use the water in our tank and conserve. At least they have a bathhouse with showers. 

It was windy when we arrived, and we stupidly left the door and back hatch open as we unloaded the bikes. As soon as the sun dropped down, the mosquitoes came out in hoards! They were horrible and many had come in while we had the doors open. We were killing them even as we went to bed. Even using our new Jungle Juice had no effect. Guess we'll get the Deet out. 

I picked up this piece from the original Overseas Highway which was made of coral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This caught our eye in the KOA. I'm not sure if it's left over from Halloween or says something about the owner of this rig!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a remaining section of the Overseas Highway which ran above the railway. It's no longer open for any use as it's falling down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0