Cheek to cheek - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 11, 2022

Cheek to cheek

Gainesville dance day

It was another beautiful sunrise here as I took my usual early morning walk over to the lake. Not too much was stirring except for some fishermen. But it's interesting to poke around among the rotted logs, searching for more mushrooms. 

We didn't bike today as we're going to a Valentine's dance tonight. So we did some computer work and then ran a couple of errands. I thought it was interesting that the Walmart here had a room up front where you could rent all kinds of tools - including big things like saws or leaf blowers. 

After dinner we drove over to Rena's Ballroom which was a place we had danced at in 2018 on a bike tour through here. It was much as we remembered with a large wood floor. A very nice facility. 

Tonight was their Valentine's dance and the ladies, along with some men, were all decked out in red. There were quite a few people in attendance and most of them were very good dancers. 

I think we held our own (even got a compliment from one woman) which was better than the last time we were here when we were pretty new students and hardly knew any dances. A few people we had seen at the Tallahassee dances so it was nice to see familiar faces. Some had come from as far away as Georgia. 

Apparently people down here travel a triangle from southern Georgia to Tallahassee, Gainesville, Jacksonville and even St. Augustine just to attend dances. That's a lot of driving! But ballroom dancers are pretty committed to dancing and as you've seen from our travels, we're the same. A lot of our trip in Florida has been recently adjusted to specifically attend dances. 

We had a good time at the dance - they served some free refreshments and even had a chocolate wine that was yummy! The owner of the ballroom kept coming around to all of the tables to refill your glass for free. I could have drunk a lot but just kept it at a few sips. 

By 9:30 we called it a night and headed back to camp. Another fun day here in Florida!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0