Charleston tour - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2022

Charleston tour

Charleston fun day

I promised you more pictures of our carriage tour of Charleston and here they are:)

Here is what our carriage looked like. We sat in the front row by ourselves. There are so many carriages running that the city has an assigned route for each one so they don't all do the same streets at the same time. That can change daily so you might see different sites at another time. The city also has an equine sanitation truck that cleans up the streets, although our horse had a 'poop sack' under its tail. However, the smell of urine was pretty strong near the ticket booths since the horses just let loose right onto the pavement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meet Chester - the horse of the day! Kind of ornery according to our driver.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building held a former hat store. That's quite the creepy figure but look closely as everything from his eyes to ears to mouth feet are hats!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The US Custom House was finished in 1879 after being damaged in the Civil War during its construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Saint Phillip's Church. Construction started in 1835 to 1838. It is the 3rd church for this congregation. We didn't walk around the interior but our guide said the top steeple leans to the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful ornate iron on this building makes it look like it belongs in New Orleans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a row of original town homes that have been restored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden decor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the finer mansions faced the ocean where they could catch the breeze coming off of the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These seaside mansions also had balconies or sleeping porches located on one side of home to catch the breezes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't think we would bike on this side street!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jasmine was in full bloom throughout the city!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Saint Phillips.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0