South through Poland: Cos I am a champion... - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2013

South through Poland: Cos I am a champion...

Because it has taken me four months to update this section of the blog, you'll have to forgive me for not really remembering very much about the cycle from Warsaw to Krakow. I was also not into keeping a very detailed diary at the time. My notes for the 17th of October, for example, read as follows: 'Got lost. Main road. Woods - slow. Frustrating. Nice men outside Tourist Info.'

I think that probably tells you everything that you need to know. The only other thing that I remember very well from these days was that there were a lot of dogs and that they chased me and barked at me a lot. In fact Poland was the worst country that I had ever been to for dogs. I had to develop certain techniques for dealing with them. There are many different techniques for dealing with dogs. I find one of the best is to shout at them in German. It doesn't even matter what you say, so long as it is in German. Its the harsh gutteral sound they don't like. I liked to simply shout "NEIN!" and if that didn't work maybe "Wo ist die bahnhof?" or "Vorsprung durch technik!"

Of course that doesn't always work and in Poland I was experimenting with some pioneering techniques. When I saw a small but nasty looking dog waiting for me in the road ahead I decided to try singing. Now I have a terrible singing voice and the sound of it actually stopped the little mutt dead in its tracks. The inevitable barking was avoided. I was amazed. But almost immediately I saw an alsatian standing in the road ahead. This was a much sterner test. "Cos I am a champion, and you're going to hear me roar!" I sang. The alsatian looked horrified, turned on its heels, and ran behind a fence. I was really onto something here.

Nothing says 'Professional Mechanic' like a picture of a semi-naked woman writhing around
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now I see this picture I remember I accidently ended up cycling on this motorway and had to climb through an emergency exit door to escape
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this woman was a prostitute
Heart 3 Comment 0

15/10/13 - 88km

16/10/13 - 73km

17/10/13 - 114km

Today's ride: 275 km (171 miles)
Total: 7,669 km (4,762 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0