What have we here? - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

What have we here?

Hello, thanks for taking the time to stop by.

This journal is a bit of a trip down memory lane for me (and perhaps even for you too). It is about a bicycle tour that I started eight years ago, when I set off from the Eiffel Tower on a mission to try and circumnavigate the entire planet using only my bicycle and boats. Without wanting to give anything away (SPOILER ALERT!!!) it did turn out to be a pretty f*cking awesome experience.

So I have decided to republish my journal from the trip online here, and I'm going to do it in a sort of real-time manner, so that each post will come exactly eight years after it actually happened. This might enhance the reading experience for you if you want to follow it, and will certainly be easier for me in terms of checking everything through before I publish it. 

If you can't wait that long to find out what happens next, I must shamelessly add that I have also turned the experience into a series of three books, which you can find on Amazon by searching for my name (or for No Wrong Turns, Into the Sunrise, and Different Parts of Everywhere if you prefer). I'm also still blogging occasionally on my own website, www.chrispountneyadventures.com, about my new adventures, if you have the time later.

But enough about the present!  That's not what I'm here to talk about. No, I'd like to take you back to the past, to a time when corona was just a Mexican beer and TikTok was just a noise old clocks made, to a time when  One Direction topped the charts and Phil Jageilka played for England, and everything felt possible. It was the summer of 2013, and I had a bicycle, and I had my dreams...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonThis will be so great. I found CBOAB just about the time your journey was winding down, and never went back to catch up. Wonderful idea to republish it in quasi-real time.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI've been wondering what you have been doing the past half dozen years! Nice to go back and remember!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesGood to see this here, Chris. I’m looking forward to re-reading.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownWoot woot, Chris is in the house. This was one of my favorite journals ever.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensGreat to see you on this site Chris. I pretty much followed your blog from the beginning and we used the information on our own RTW when we followed in your tracks sometimes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceWell Yay!!! This will be a very fun read (even though I know the whole story). An awesome revisit of an epic tale!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryHi Chris,
Thanks for writing and now republishing your blog! I can't remember exactly, but I followed it for years and for sure read the whole thing at least once. I was really disappointed when it disappeared from the other place. (I've also got one of your books.)
Thanks for the entertainment and the inspiration!
Hope you are getting on well. Still planning a big swim? Or was it some sort it triathlon?
Cheers!
LJ
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Halûk OkurHey Chris, it's been ages since your last post. Hope you're ok.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago