Here comes the dramatic twist: It involves the Drug Enforcement Administration, Melbourne Airport, and a cuddly toy kangaroo - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2015

Here comes the dramatic twist: It involves the Drug Enforcement Administration, Melbourne Airport, and a cuddly toy kangaroo

"Oh, man, do they mean campus?"That moment when you realise you've sent your child to the wrong school
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingI would guess that Compass is a school app for communicating with Parents.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

I was worried. Again. When I woke up I had the idea that I was going to make it easily on time to the airport, but fate had other ideas. Once again the winds had turned against me, a final teasing tormenting challenge to be overcome, these headwinds resisted my final charge with all their might. But I had come too far to be defeated now, I battled back with a determined strength, spurred on by thoughts of what lay ahead of me, and despite the winds and despite more hills I eventually, finally, made it to the airport:

Oh, no, wait, this isn't right! Wrong one!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wrong one, oh no, what drama. Back to the road, back to the headwind and more pumping of my tired legs further still. The back roads went on seemingly forever, until at last I crept over another hill and saw once more the skyline of Melbourne, now as a backdrop to the airport control tower, to planes taking off and landing. I was almost there. One final dip down, one final climb up, the road became busy, the road became a freeway, but then, at long last, the turn for Melbourne Airport. I had made it, and what was more I had made it on time!

Heart 2 Comment 0

And so this was where my sprint across Australia would end. No longer did I have to rush anywhere. My goal had been achieved. Looking back at my race across the continent it was clear that I had made the right choice to not try and cycle all the way to Gold Coast by the 9th of July. I simply wouldn’t have made it. It was all I could do to make it on time for the flight in Melbourne. And it had been the right choice for this flight to have been booked between the two cities to make up for my inability to make it to Gold Coast by bicycle. And I know what you’re thinking - what a lousy twist for me to fly the last bit from Melbourne to Gold Coast, after travelling halfway around the world using only a bicycle and boats what a disappointing way for it to end. And you’re absolutely right. That would have been a lousy and disappointing twist.

I pulled on my Drug Enforcement Administration vest. I’d seen it in a store in Indonesia and knew that I had to buy it just for this moment. An airport official eyed me questionably as I did so, although his raised suspicions might have also had something to do with the cuddly toy kangaroo that I was gripping nervously under my arm. I was in the still-very-much-under-construction terminal four, which essentially consisted of a tin shed with a luggage carousel in it. I was waiting for the 12:50 from Gold Coast. It was delayed. I paced anxiously. I’d waited so long for this moment. Then, after what felt like an eternity, a door was opened and some passengers began to come through. The first was a dreadlocked young fellow who, having thought he’d cleared customs already, looked rather worried by my vest, until I waved him on. I wasn’t interested in him. I was trying to look over the shoulders of the other passengers walking through the door. I was only interested in one of them. Then suddenly the airport worker was back at my side. “Is this your bike sir? You need to stay with your luggage sir.” His voice was almost immaterial to me. “Yes, yes, I understand” I said dismissively. He was nothing more than a blur in my peripheral vision now, because directly ahead of me, walking excitedly towards me, was a tall, blonde, and incredibly beautiful Danish girl. The most beautiful girl in the world, as a matter of fact.

We embraced and hugged and held each other. It felt so good to feel that embrace again. It had been so long. It had been too long. “I missed you so much!” We hugged more, and kissed, and trembled, and hugged, and didn’t know what to say to each other we were both so happy. When we let go of one another long enough I presented my gifts – the cuddly toy kangaroo and the vest, the acronym of which had found a much more appropriate home now.

“Welcome to Australia, Dea.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re very tall.”

“Yes I am.”

“Are you ready to cycle to Gold Coast with me?”

“Yes!!!”

Holy heck in a handbasket, folks! She's back!!!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 44,691 km (27,753 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierAwww...I get all teary when I read love stories.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago