Day 96: Rest Day in Brattleboro - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2021

Day 96: Rest Day in Brattleboro

Route changes again

“Bernie is here at noon in the Commons,” Dot says, “I’ll meet you there.”

We have a lazy morning, starting with our cereal and milk for breakfast and then mid-morning walking to town for a second breakfast at “the Works”. We make our way to the Commons about 1145, the park is empty except for two small groups, one picnicking the other look like artists sharing their work. Not a good sign if there is to be a town meeting.

We decide to leave and see Dot coming up the hill on her electric bike, she too is confused why no one is here. She checks her phone, there is no Bernie Rally today, rescheduled to Monday. Disappointing, this would have been a cool Vermont experience. We wander a little more through downtown before returning to Dot’s home for an afternoon of reading our books and working on the route.

With the information we’ve gathered through mostly local sources, our route changes again. Rachel has connected with a Vermont Cycling Group and asked for information on certain roads, and suggestions on routes. Our Warmshowers host north of Concord has also recommended a route. We’ve also been contacted by a friend of Bill Weir, a cyclist we met in Myanmar in 2016, who is a local and going to join us on The Northern Rail Trail also with suggestions on route. All seem to confirm the same route suggestion.

The bottom line is, we will not be going across VT from Lebanon to Rutland and then up to Burlington. Instead from Lebanon we will go north and connect with the Cross New Hampshire Route. Rachel works on plotting the maps on Ride GPS, and Patrick contacts potential warmshowers hosts.

Around 5pm, Dot calls up to the room “would you like a beer?” So we have happy hour with her before taking her to dinner. A very nice rest day.

It's fall when the mums arrive in the grocery stores
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge across the Connecticut River, into New Hampshire
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Malfunction Junction
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Statue celebrating those who fought in the Great Rebellion in the Commons Park where we waited for the Bernie town hall...that wasn't happening until Monday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy Hour with Dot...dark beer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pictures from the Gallery Walk last night

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Bob DistelbergCongratulations on that climb up Rt 9. I drove through there a couple of days ago and was thinking how even in a car that climb seemed endless. And welcome to my town of Brattleboro. Looks like you found all the fun places, Vermont Country Deli, Whetstone Station, and of course Malfunction Junction!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergOh, good. I just saw that they were in your town and was about to advise them of it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Bob DistelbergOh, and I meant to add, let me know if you need anything while in this area, although I suspect you may have moved on from Brattleboro already.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi Bob, well darn, yes we moved on today (9-6) would have loved to have met you! We are now camping just south of Keene in Ashuelot campground....expensive for a tent. We rode part of the Fort Hill trail (about 3miles of it) then on the road until Recycle Road and go on the Ashuelot Trail. This was great seeing covered bridges and trestle bridges....but not the wisest move after the rain all last night....pretty big muddy spots.
We really enjoyed your town of Brattleboro!
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonHi Scott,
Gosh, you know just about everyone! This is the downside of not keeping the journal really really current...we moved on today after two rest days in Brattleboro. Cool Town!
How's Europe?
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago