Day 97: Rest Day in Brattlesboro - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2021

Day 97: Rest Day in Brattlesboro

Tour of Southeast Vermont by car

The morning: Another lazy morning, another load of laundry done, another bagel breakfast at “The Works”.

The Afternoon: Dot takes us on a tour of South East Vermont.

First out of town, we stop to look at Dummerston covered Bridge. Then Dot drives North across the countryside…we go through towns Townshend, Jamaica, Londonderry, Ludlow and Plymouth. We reach a midpoint of Route 4 at Bridgewater. This was the intended route for us from Lebanon to Rutland where we would then turn North to Middlebury and on to Burlington.

This is nice to see half of the route we might have done, and the covered bridges and Quechee Gorge we otherwise would have missed. And as locals said, the road doesn’t have a shoulder and is busy…very busy. So we are feeling confident that the change in route is a good decision.

On 5 South, we stop to see the 155 year old Cornish-Windsor covered bridge that crosses the Connecticut River from New Hampshire and Vermont. This is one of the longest covered bridges in the nation. At Bellows Fellow, almost back to Brattleboro, we stop for a nice Chinese Dinner.

Dummerston Covered Bridge, north of Brattleboro
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0