Day 2: Oak Harbor to Bayview State Park - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2021

Day 2: Oak Harbor to Bayview State Park

Almost ready to start riding East

”I thought maybe a cyclist was ahead of us seeing the banana peels,” Rachel says and Patrick agreed that he was thinking the same. We are on a popular route and expecting to meet cyclists along the way. 

We are not in a big rush this morning and still looking at options for our route today, since it’s not necessary that we make it to Rasar State Park. Friends we were going to meet up with had changed their itinerary freeing us up change our plans too. Kurt has given us recommendations, one that is very attractive, at Sedro Wooley to ride the Old Skagit highway south of the river rather than on SR 20 or as we planned still ride the Cascade Trail. We’ve decided to get on the road and see how the hills are still affecting us, and decide at certain decision points of what to do once we reach Sedro Wooley.

We thank Kurt and Jane for their hospitality and continue on West Beach Road. As Kurt says, there are 3 hills in each direction from their house. We came down one yesterday, and today continue up the one that will take us eventually back to SR 20. We need to get around Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. We turn onto Golf Course Road and then Ault Field Road to SR 20 as there is another display of F18s flying around. Boy, it is loud when they are nearby. And the traffic on this road is nonstop.

When we reach Deception Pass bridge it is disappointing as there is bridge work and the sidewalks are closed, so there was barely time to see any view and no place to stop for pictures. The road is narrow, little shoulder and bumper to bumper traffic. Where are all these people going? We are now on Fidalgo Island. As we take a break on the other side of the bridge, Kurt and Jane wave as they pass by on their way to the area they planned to hike and bike. We reach Sharp’s corner and see a bike lane with signs to Anacortes and Burlington and US bike route 10. At one point the trail takes us to a secondary road that parallels SR 20. We stop at a bus stall for the transit system aka a cyclist’s picnic spot. They are perfect for a place to lean the bikes, to sit, and shaded. It’s not as hot today as yesterday, but the sun is strong. We are a decision point of how much further to go and where and how to stage the next day.

We decide to follow part of one of Rachel’s original ideas: Though we skipped Anacortes on the Tommy Thompson Trail, we could still ride the Padilla Bay Trail to Bayview State Park and then take back roads staying north of Burlington and then directly into Sedro Wooley to pick up the Cascade trail to Concrete. This sets up the next day to a stay with another Warmshowers host in Marblemount. For today, we decide to camp at Bayview State Park, so we continue to follow the US Bike 10 signs, that at the Swinomish Casino, the bridge over the channel has a two way bike path on the north side only.

The Padilla trail was short only 3 miles but put us near Bayview State Park. We found a Hiker Biker Campspot for $12. Showers were somewhat disappointing even so it was nice to be able to cleanup. The tent is pitched for the first time, it’s our old Mountain Hardwear Skyview that we first took to Patagonia in 1999 and also used in Alaska in 2007. Let’s hope it lasts. The sun is hot. We should not complain though since it could easily rain here. We spent the afternoon staying in the shade and using our cellphone data hotspot to update the blog and organize pictures. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Bus stall aka cyclists picnic area
Heart 2 Comment 0
After crossing the bridge, the US 10 bike route takes us under the bridge to get us back heading east
Heart 2 Comment 1
Frosene SaccoA secret bathroom is under there too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Entrance to the Padilla trail
Heart 2 Comment 1
Frosene SaccoOur favorite ride area!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekThat looks familiar
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bayview State Park, Hiker Biker area
Heart 2 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekThe tent looks like it's in good order.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI'm not too confident with birds, but that might be a female Anna's hummingbird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Annas_Hummingbird/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Chris & Heather HartridgeWe'll be along for the ride with you guys. Thanks for posting - we have many memories of riding in WA state and hope to have more in the future... and Idaho too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Chris & Heather HartridgeThanks! As you know on the road, it's nice to hear from people...and the encouragement. We did 62mi today over Rainy Pass and Washington Pass...3 more passes to go. At a ws host in Winthrop and taking a rest day tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 75 miles (121 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0