Day 16: Bad Medicine Campground to Libby - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2021

Day 16: Bad Medicine Campground to Libby

Korean take out in the campground

“It’s cooler so the mosquitoes are not as active,” Robert says as we are packing up. The three of us are ready to roll, and we agree to try to meet up in Libby with the O’Brien’s. We ride 2 miles back to the main road and head north again on Highway 56. It is 17 miles to the junction with US2. The last bit is a nice downhill on which we meet our first two westbound cyclists. They started in Minnesota and are doing a loop to the Pacific Coast and back again. At the junction is a rest area where we have an early lunch.

“I am happy I’m not feeling my Achilles tendon today,” Patrick says. The scrub brush seems to be working. We stop at Kootenai Falls, there is a shop but is not open yet. Patrick and Robert walk down to take a look at the falls. We reach Libby and stop at the Chamber of Commerce where the Fireman’s Park Campground is located just behind. We find a nice site in the trees and next to the cemetery and the backside of Rosauers Grocery Store. The park has a host, and is run by the city so it is very basic at $10. There is water and toilets, but no shower at the campground but we are given information to where there is a shower. Moody’s Laundry, Dog Wash and Showers just down the street, next to the Pin up girl nail salon. This is pretty sweet, full sized towel provided and a bath mat, shampoo and conditioner for $5 each.

Robert is cooking dinner in camp, and we plan dinner at the Cabinet Mountain Brewery. We’ve heard from the O’Brien’s and they will meet us there. Tomorrow they will continue on the ACA Northern Tier Route, while we are going to take Fisher Creek Road to US2 and then to Kalispell, missing Whitefish. Keeping in touch is so much easier now with the internet and cell phones, so we will again meet up again, hopefully in Glacier if not somewhere across the country.

When we return to the campground, the friendly Korean-American neighbors from North Carolina in the next campsite come over to give us each a plate of Korean noodles that his wife made plenty for the whole campground; they had already given Robert some. Then the wife come over, she is big with making videos with You Tube: Kay RV Travel. When we have internet again, we’ll have to check this out. 

No mosquitoes or rain tonight.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownIbex Peak, in the Cabinet Wilderness Area.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltClassic pose!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
We meet our first west bound cyclists, they started in Minnesota and doing a loop
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekBrain surgeon or rocket scientist.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Libby Chamber of Commerce the Fireman's campground
Heart 1 Comment 0
Should be quiet, the cemetery is behind us
Heart 2 Comment 3
Andrea BrownMy father and grandparents, aunts and uncles are buried back there. And this is the campground where we first met up with Jeff Arnim in 2011 on his diagonal cross-country trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Andrea BrownThat is so cool!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Rachel and Patrick HugensWe took him out for pizza and gifted him a giant can of Pringles, and that was the start of a beautiful friendship. We just got home today from visiting the Arnims at their new home in Washington. You just never know where these cycle-touring friendships will go, do you? Have fun and safe travels.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street tacos! Delicious filled with pulled pork and slaw
Heart 1 Comment 0
A toast to the wind, and until we "eat" again. Thank you Terry, Janet and Ross for a great past few days cycling together.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
He brings over the Korean food his wife cooked what seems like for the whole campground. Robert already had a plate, and he said they were waiting for the people on the other side to return to their tent to give them a plate too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kay, the cook
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 599 miles (964 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0