Day 128: Portland to Kennebunk - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2021

Day 128: Portland to Kennebunk

We are Four Cyclists now

"That would be my dog eating your food," Jay says. Our bikes are on the back porch, Frosene has found two empty plastic bags that once had a healthy treat, and tortillas. Maddie, the beagle is looking guilty.

Our routine is the same as yesterday, starting with breakfast that Doug has set out for us when he walks Slicker. He returns at 8am and we visit another half hour before starting to load up our bikes. We are meeting up with Frosene and John just across the street at the Becky’s café. This is also right on the USBS 1 route/East Coast Greenway.

We all head out over the bridge out of Portland and onto a bike path. When the two routes diverge, we follow USBS 1 that goes along the coast to Old Orchard Beach, hoping to find a café for second breakfast. All along there are hotels and motels and we wonder “where do all these people eat?” There are only a few restaurants that are either not open until dinnertime or closed for the season. We stop near a beach access, eat some snacks and walk to the Ocean. Frosene and John dip their tires in the water; this is the first that they have seen the ocean since arriving in Portland.

Patrick navigates us to Saco where we find a shop and eat sub sandwiches for lunch before riding through Biddeford on the main road to pick up the Eastern Rail Trail again. This trail is a nice surface, and lots of locals are biking walking and running. Our Warmshowers host, Jay, is just at the end of the trail. We arrive around 2pm and the four of us are sharing an apartment in the back of the house. Patrick and John go with Jay to the supermarket and come back with supplies for the road tomorrow and lots of beer.

 Jay fixes us a great dinner, and a special dessert of chocolate chip cookies baked in small square cast iron skillets...and ice cream....and Redi Whip. Lots of Redi Whip.

Looking back to Portland from the bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on the Eastern Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat blue herons are good posers, but that one came out especially nice!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Blue_Heron/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Discussing the route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frosene and the empty food bags
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jay and Maddie, the beagle
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great dinner by Jay and Lara joins us after her meeting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 4,827 miles (7,768 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0