Day 50: Bosa to Oristano - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2023

Day 50: Bosa to Oristano

Nuraghi Towers

Bosa is situated in a deep valley on the Temo River. So right off the bat this morning we have to climb about 300 meters to get out of this valley and onto the plateau. The climb is fairly steep, but we are still fresh and we make good time grinding out the first dozen kilometers to Suni. “I heard that bell on the goat and thought, maybe this means we are almost to the top of the climb,” Rachel said referring to bike races where cow bells are rung for the last lap. And sure enough another switchback and we are have finished this first big climb for today.

The footbridge located just across from our B&B gets out of the town quickly
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 2
Frosene SaccoWowee! Love those pastel colors on the houses. What a striking contrast to the green hills.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersLove this view of Bosa...we have the exact same morning shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We start following small paved country roads across the plateau. From a long way we can see the basilisk of Cuglieri on the top of a hill. Fortunately we don’t have to climb all the way up there, RidewithGPS routes us around the hill on narrow farm roads through orchards and fields. We ignore the “road closed” sign and find out it is only a bridge that has been blocked to traffic, we can get through. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Thank you David Mathers: "These murals were painted by Pina Monne a well known Sardinian muralist and ceramic artist. She brought the town of Suni to life with her work!"

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
David MathersThese murals were painted by Pina Monne a well known Sardinian muralist and ceramic artist. She brought the town of Suni to life with her work!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo David MathersThanks, we've added your comment to the text of the post! Love that you know so much history of Sardinia, We head to Sicily today on the ferry.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rich FrasierLove that road!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
At an intersection there is a "road closed" sign, we continue on and find that it must be about the bridge not being safe for traffic. The beauty of a bike let's us get through.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

We pass by several Nuraghi’s today. Nuraghi (the plural of nuraghe) are massive conical stone towers that pepper the landscape of the Italian island of Sardinia. Built by the Nuragic civilization between 1900 and 730 BC. Most of them are just piles of rocks and hard to recognize, but one is still quite recognizable and we get some good photos.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

A long gradual downhill takes us back to the coast. We pass some nice villages and beaches. A couple of short climbs and another downhill. The last bit into Oristano is flat, we make good time. Right at one we find the friendly B&B we reserved, a nice room off a courtyard. There is a supermarket nearby where Patrick gets some lunch stuffs and cold beer. Later in the afternoon we walk to town to see the basilica and the one remaining city tower built in 1290. To cap this all off we walk to the McDonalds we spied on our way into town for a BigMac. One can only have so much culture in one day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
First time for our end of the day routine of Beer, and a toast to the wind, and potato chips.
Heart 4 Comment 1
The Tower of St. Christophoros, otherwise known as Tower of Mariano II, was built in 1290,
Heart 2 Comment 0
Port'a Ponti Door Tower in Piazza Roma
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eleanor of Arborea, instrumental in the Carta de Logu (legal code) in 1392
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,646 km (1,022 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0