Day 49: Alghero to Bosa - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 5, 2023

Day 49: Alghero to Bosa

Beautiful Coastal Ride

If you are ever looking for a great coastal ride, this is it between Alghero and Bosa.

Of course, that's ignoring the fact there is climbing of almost 800 meters total vertical with the highest point at about 400 meters. But what can't be ignored are the scenic views.

"It's either up or down, Italy isn't flat," Patrick says. 

Looking back at Alghero as we ride southwards along the coast.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Looking north towards the headland we'll have to cross over.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist.
Heart 8 Comment 1
David MathersThe perfect day for the perfect ride! This was one of best rides on the island for sure 👍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
drinking fountain
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Edited: A day too early (see tomorrow's pictures) in the description of this tower as a Nurahi tower, with the help of fellow cycleblazers we corrected the caption to a different idea of what the tower may be. Thank you Scott Anderson and David Mathers!

Scott and David thank you for possible identification of this tower "coastal towers built by the Spaniards to defend the island from the Saracens - similar to the Genoese and Pisan towers you see ringing Corsica."
Heart 1 Comment 4
Scott AndersonMaybe it’s a nuraghe, but to me it looks like one of the coastal towers built by the Spaniards to defend the island from the Saracens - similar to the Genoese and Pisan towers you see ringing Corsica.

Maybe this one is Torre Argentina, not too far northwest of Bosa?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersI think Scott is right but if you have time I would recommend a visit and a tour of a nuraghe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo David MathersThanks will corrext today
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonThanks will correct
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We arrive in Bosa at 1pm, just perfect for checking into the B&B. The man is here to give us the key and he even helps carry the gear to the room. The bikes are easily stored in the outer room. It's a shared bathroom, but then we are the only guests so shouldn't be a problem. Patrick also arranged that the breakfast can be moved up to 7am. This will help us get on the road early as the first section tomorrow is a climb.

B&B Vista Fiume
Heart 5 Comment 0

Patrick walks back to a Spar grocery to get supplies for tomorrow while Rachel cleans up. He brings back red wine! which we enjoy with salami and cheese.

After a rest we walk around the town and scout out where to have dinner. At 6pm we go out to the Flowery Pizza place that was supposed to open at 6pm. It isn't, after all this is Italy where the pace is slower and people eat later.

We return after 7pm, it is open and doing good takeout business. We eat in and then find ice cream. As we sit in the park eating the ice cream, Rachel shivers as the temperature is chilly.

Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,585 km (984 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0