Matera - Wandering in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2022

Matera

Guided tour this AM with Sara of Matera Tour Guide. Went through the Duomo and a couple of other churches in the upper part of town, then down into the Sassi. I’d recommend if you are in town. Only difficulty was avoiding the large tour and school groups.  Some local bread and a panzerotto from one of the older paneficio in town and a bottle of Salice Salentino from a future stop make up lunch. Then it’s time to be like the locals and rest for a bit. 

A short walk in the early evening and we have the fixings for a noshing dinner.  Early day tomorrow. Hope the wind dies down a bit.

Outside the Duomo. I thought the two creatures on the bottom were interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fresco discovered in an excavation below the Duomo. It’s part of a smaller church that existed prior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A manger scene carved from limestone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A more modern altar built around a Byzantine fresco.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We should be as smart as this cat and stay out of the sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A caper plant growing out of the rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pane di Matera. Want to start a fight? Tell a local the Pane di Altamura is better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chocolate filled croissants, ready to bake, in what would be a tiny grocery in the US.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is why I take an extra bag when not doing a bike trip. Can’t find this selection in the mega super sized grocery stores at home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0