Matera - Martina Franca - Wandering in Puglia - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2022

Matera - Martina Franca

Our accommodation in Matera worked out great. An easy walk into the historic part of town, close to a modest grocery store with a lot of options if you want to fix your own meals, comfy mattresses and a spacious shower. On the lower level, behind a gate and out of sight is bicycle storage. I’d stay here again. 

Up early and on the road by 0800, we try to beat some of the heat of the day. It would be over 50 miles to Martina Franca if we rode all the way, and that’s a bit far if we want to have any energy to do something once we arrive. We catch the train in Noci and take it the rest of  the way to Martina Franca. 

While in the middle of a long climb prior to reaching Noci, I kept hearing a noise that seemed to be coming from behind me. Found a good place to stop and upon inspecting the bike saw a bolt connecting the rear rack to a seat stay was backing out. With the quality of roads we’ve been on, it’s probably a good idea to check connection points each morning. 

Did Fausto ride this to victory in the Giro? Seen in the bicycle storage area of our Matera accommodation.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bob Koreis😆 Yeah, it’s not the type of Coppi frame I’ve ever seen.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
No signs for the castle, but we didn’t have time for a tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There’s gold on that tree.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This building caught my eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What it looks like on the front side. That’s a fancy fence they have.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I now know where I am, which way I need to go, and who has recently died.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s well after Easter, so I’m not sure if they are setting up or taking down. There’s a lot of it up in Gioia del Colle. Must be spectacular at night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Covella Pasticceri rocks. Just one of at least a half dozen pastry shops in a town of about 28k.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many incredible choices.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puff, chocolate, pistachio and walnut (noce), with a side of caffe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A trullo in the wild. Got to see a lot of these today. No need to fight the tourist crowds in Alberobello.
Heart 1 Comment 0
is anyone home? My water bottles are about empty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fantastic repurposing of a phone booth in Noci.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I appreciate the ease of getting my bike on the train, but Ferrovie del Sud Est needs to use larger hooks. These are only wide enough for the spandex crowd’s bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Amazing Kreskin must have dined here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Accommodation: B&B Dimore Miravalle

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0