Santeramo in Colle - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2023

Santeramo in Colle

Today is one we’ve been anticipating for a long time - our meetup with biketouring superstars Racpat (Rachel and Patrick Hugens), on their latest epic jaunt: a very roundabout journey From Morocco to Holland.  We had originally planned to meet them in Patti, Sicily until we reworked our itinerary several weeks ago.  We feel fortunate that we’ve gotten a second chance, and appreciate them spinning their wheels in Matera until we got within range.

The plan is that we’ll meet up on the road, about three fourths of the way into our ride and about halfway into their shorter one.  From there we’ll bike together the short distance to Santeramo in Colle where we’ve booke d a room for the night.  We’re scheduled to meet at 1:30 and it’s 26 miles there for us and mostly uphill, so we leave our room in Massafra by 10 thinking that will still be plenty of time.

It’s a pretty steep drop through the old city, a place we’ve ended up with pretty lukewarm feelings about and aren’t unhappy to see the last of.  At the bottom we turn right onto a busy regional road, and before long we turn off onto the sort of quiet, rough, empty road we’ve been seeing a lot of lately.

Leaving Massafra.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some locals wave goodbye as we leave and encourage us to return soon. We’ll take it under consideration.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesI like the weather report!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesFunny! I didn’t notice that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Not long afterwards our lane comes to an end at what looks like it may have been a train station in the past.  There’s a trail though the weeds that I explore, but soon come to a pair of shiny, obviously frequently used railroad tracks.  I consider the risks of crossing here but can’t see any continuance on the other side anyway - there’s just a long, unbroken concrete wall, too high to scale.  It looks like there may have been a crossing possible here in the past (and RideWithGPS thinks one still exists), but with the option of just turning around and biking back to the crossing at the base of the town the decision is easy.

Still, it’s not the best to have wasted fifteen or twenty minutes on a two mile dead end on a day where we don’t want to be late to the party.

Nope. Think again, Team Anderson.
Heart 1 Comment 0

That road to nowhere is only the first unpleasant surprise RideWithGPS has queued up for us today as it happens.  The next one unfolds gradually, as the three unpaved miles we were promised turn into ten.  The texture, more unexpected navigational challenges and the intermittent water hazards all conspire to slow us down considerably and by noon we’ve barely covered ten miles and it’s looking increasingly doubtful we’re going to arrive at our rendezvous point on schedule.  We send the first of a series of updates to Racpat warning them that we’re likely to be late.

So that’s frustrating.  Still, we should point out that the route we followed, a snippet of Eurovelo 5, really does look like the best cycling option available to us here.  Along the way we cross a pair of the startlingly deep ravines this region is famous for, apparently on the viaducts of an abandoned road or railway line.  The alternatives would require crossing on the viaducts of a highway (and I’m not sure bikes are even allowed there) or a lengthy detour.

Not really the conditions you want to see when you’re in a hurry; or maybe even if you’re not, Rocky?
Heart 2 Comment 0
In a hurry or not, some things you just have to stop for. I didn’t like seeing how mud-spattered their faces and clothing were though. Just how bad is this going to be?
Heart 8 Comment 0
A view back toward Mottola, seeing it on the opposite side from yesterday’s look.
Heart 4 Comment 1
I have no idea of what this is, or where. I can’t find it on the map so maybe I just imagined it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Ponte di Santo Stefano, our route across the Gravina di Palaginello.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view from the bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsQuite a chasm indeed. Good to have a bridge.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Eurovelo5 looks like this for miles. If you continue with it long enough in this direction it will take you to Matera, and eventually to London.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beautiful Ponte di Santa Lucia, built in the Mussolini era, carries us across the Gravina di Santa Lucia.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The view through the modern bridge from the Ponte di Santa Lucia. In the distance is the town of Castelanetta.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We give our regrets to Matera and London and part ways with EV5 here. The bikes and I are taking a brief break while Rachael follows a faint trail to see if RideWithGPS is right this time and it really does connect us up with the road we’ve just crossed under.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt almost looks like you said to h@ll with it, threw down the bikes and took off for who knows where.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It does. And it’s a very good thing, because otherwise we really would be late.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe love reading what your day truly was like when we meet up.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Finally, after climbing through Castelanetta we find smooth sailing. The next dozen miles go as fast as can be hoped for and we arrive only about 25 minutes late.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Late or not, we receive a big two armed greeting.
Heart 5 Comment 0

With the impressive ruins of Masseria Viglione rising behind us, we hang around long enough for a round of introductions and commemorative photos and then head south for Santeramo and our lodging for the night. It’s seven miles away with a moderate switchback climb in between here and there, but with Racpat setting a blistering pace and blowing through all the stop signs the miles melt away and soon we’re dropping into town and weaving through its tiny streets on the hunt for La Dimora di Roberto, our room for the night.

Video sound track: Hanuman, by Rodrigo y Gabriela

Finally!
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rachel and Patrick HugensNow on the ferry to Albania, and I think I'm safe from being arrested in Italy
Rachel
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensWe’ll watch out to see if things start seeming cleaner around here now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI always enjoy seeing these cycle touring meetups! Especially having followed both pairs for years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick straps his mini-tripod to a post and lines us up for a group photo.
Heart 10 Comment 0
The caravan moves south.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A few switchbacks rise ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Those turbine blades are facing in the wrong direction for our likes today, in case you wondered.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another look back.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the outskirts of Santeramo in Colle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Take Heart, by Oregon

A few words about our home for the night.  We’re sharing a room built for four - a queen bed and a bunk bed - that looked considerably more spacious on the Booking.com listing than it does when we step in the room and see we’re going to be living on top of each other for the night.  This cramped solution wasn’t the original plan.  There are few lodging options in Santeramo, but I found one that was a little on the spendy side and looked good enough.  After we’d all booked ourselves into it though I had the timely thought to ask about the bicycles.  Not possible, I quickly learned; so we cancelled and I turned to Roberto’s place, which listed three rooms - one for two persons, one for three, and one for four.  I booked one and sent the listing to Racpat to sign on also, but now no rooms were available.  In fact there was always only the one room, but listed three ways with different rates depending upon the number of occupants.

A little cozy, but the price was right at €20/per occupant; and it was actually quite fun - a hostel experience that gave us a much more immersed and intimate visit than we would have had otherwise.  After wrestling over who got the bunk bed (Rachael won, and took the top bunk) we settled in for the evening until time to head out for pizza at what looked like the most attractive option in town.  Pizza and salads were excellent and gelati on the piazza afterwards made a fine second act, but the chance to get to finally know each other in person and share a bit of our lives was best of all.

It took some work lugging them up the stairs, but all four bikes fit snugly in a narrow hallway.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsTraffic jam! I hope there's no need to access whatever lies behind Door Number One, at the far end of that hall.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Home for the night. Looks cozy!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Polishing off yesterday’s post.
Heart 6 Comment 0
In Santeramo in Colle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We were lucky we arrived at the restaurant early. It was empty when we arrived, but I think we claimed the only unbooked table. Before long we were entertained by an ebullient birthday party.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the Piazza, Santeramo in Colle. I thought it was a charming small town, a pleasant place for a one night stand. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were the only tourists in town tonight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Santeramo in Colle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Roberto’s place. We’re seeing most of it here, not counting the small bathroom.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 34 miles, 2,100’; for the tour: 678 miles, 39,400’

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 712 miles (1,146 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Kathleen JonesHurrah for another CB meetup!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonLooks like fun!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThis is a highlight of our tour meeting you two!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterGlad you were able to get together
The racing video is a hoot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensOurs, also!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Susan CarpenterI accidentally had it on the time warp setting but it worked out well!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensI agree, it's so much fun, love all your videos
Rachel
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Rachael AndersonOh and that blowing through the stop sign is known as an Idaho Stop.....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensI’m so glad I got it all on video especially the Idaho Stop!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago