In Siracusa (a photo gallery) - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2023

In Siracusa (a photo gallery)

We landed in Siracusa by happenstance, only because it worked out for the train connections (but just barely, as it happened).  Our original plan was to catch a train from Ragusa to Catania because that train journey looked simpler, but we couldn’t convince ourselves that we could get bikes on that train.  We weren’t sure about the train to Siracusa either for that matter, but at least if we were rebuffed the taxi ride would be considerably shorter and less expensive.

So it wasn’t in our minds to visit Siracusa at all, another hotspot we’ve been to twice before.  We picked our hotel here solely because it was close to the train station, but when we checked in the agent t pointed out that it was an easy ten minute walk to the edge of Ortigia, the small island on the seaward side of the city where nearly everything in Siracusa of great interest exists.  Ortigia is really a special place, so as soon as we heard it was so close by we changed our plans for the evening and headed there, with the idea that we’d maybe get as far as the cathedral, look around as much as we could before dinner, and then look around for a restaurant.

As it turns out you can see quite a bit in a couple of hours, especially if you’re already generally oriented.  It’s a small compact place, and we had time to walk along the western promenade to the south side of the island, and swing back up the east side and by the cathedral on our way back to an early-open waterfront restaurant we found.  It was an excellent evening, a small gift we hadn’t been expecting.  And I even added a new bird to the list!  That and a brief but spectacular sunset made a surprisingly perfect ending to such a stressful day.

Looking east along the canal that separates Ortigia from the rest of the city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Temple of Apollo, at the entrance to Ortigia. Dating to the 6th century B.C., this temple is one of the most ancient Doric temples in Sicily.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ortigia consists of small, capillary-like alleys connecting the waterfront and the central corridor. Too narrow for cars unfortunately but they’re still interesting to explore in their own way.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Here’s another.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A long, pleasant promenade borders the west side of the island.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking up above the promenade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view along the southwestern end of Ortigia. Ahead is Castello Maniace, the 13th century fortress that guards the tip of the island.
Heart 3 Comment 0
#135: Spanish sparrow, another close cousin of the English and Italian sparrows. It’s perched on the papyrus at the Fountain of Arethusa. Here and at two other nearby locations in Sicily are the only naturally occurring places papyrus is found in Europe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A view on the other side of the island, looking north toward ‘mainland’ Sicily.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another eastside view, with Forte Vigliena in the foreground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another eastside view. The entire waterfront walk around the island is interesting the entire way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another angle on the same spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rosemary?
Heart 1 Comment 9
Steve Miller/GrampiesAww,Andea got there first. Yes, rosemary. Did you rub a bit between your fingers? The smell is so refreshing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNope. I can’t smell.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonSorry, I forgot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, sure. I know you’re just trolling me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, sure. I know you’re just trolling me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGood thing I didn't post "pinch & sniff!"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonDamn, he's on to us!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltReally! I’m very sensitive about this. It’s quite a sore point with me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Working our way back toward the Duomo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The baroque facade of the Duomo, the Siracusa cathedral. Closed for the day, but we hadn’t expected to get in. We’re just happy to see its exterior again and refresh our memories.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Duomo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Duomo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The long east wall of the Duomo. The first time we stayed in Siracusa our room was one of those balconies on the second floor of that two story building at the far end. We had a long view down the cathedral of course, but more amazing was the religious procession walking down it, directly below our balcony.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The church of Santa Lucia alla Badia stands adjacent to the Duomo on the west side of its pizza.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Santa Lucia alla Badia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had dinner at a waterfront restaurant on the west side. We watched a modest sunset slowly develop, looking like it wouldn’t amount to much of any thing until it suddenly and briefly caught fire.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Walking back toward the Duomo, keeping an eye out for a last Sicilian pistachio treat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Piazza Duomo, with the duomo on the left and Santa Lucia alla Badia on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Fountain of Diana.
Heart 6 Comment 0

___________________

2023 Bird List

     135. Spanish sparrow

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Janice BranhamAn amazing collection after the day you had. And how do you figure out what all these birds are? I'm mystified.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago