You Say Hello and We Say Goodbye - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2022

You Say Hello and We Say Goodbye

We woke up early today to get into Yellowstone before all the craziness got started. Good plan, but the craziness never seems to end. I did a bad thing this morning and cut in line to enter the park. I figured folks would be accommodating to cyclists…yeah not so much. The woman driving the car I cut in front of shared her displeasure with me and ended our one sided conversation by calling me an a-hole. I take responsibility for my actions, and I hope I didn’t ruin her day. 

We cruised pretty quickly through the portion of the park we visited yesterday. Took a few more pictures but tried not to be redundant to yesterday.  We saw some Bison again. Dan actually hid behind an RV because he thought the Bison was coming his way. Me, I didn’t even see it and couldn’t understand why we had stopped riding. 

For the portion of the park that was new to us, we stopped to take some pictures and  check out some of the cool sites.  I’ll add some to the end or beginning of the blog. I seem to have little control as to where they end up. 

We were worried about the traffic and road quality, and there was also a bit of construction that we needed to navigate. In the end, it all worked out well and the construction was our friend as the workers timed things perfectly to keep the traffic pressure down. 

The title of the blog refers to the Yellowstone Park folks saying hello when we entered and us waving goodbye as we left some 70 miles later. So yes we rode through the park in a single day…in the west entrance and out the south. Clearly there’s days, weeks, and maybe years worth of things to see, but we were following the TransAmerica route and we’re committed to being in NC in September. 

As we left the park we jumped onto the Rockefeller Memorial Highway. If the civil engineers who designed RT 287 in Montana were boring, the ones that designed the Rockefeller Memorial Highway were masochists…but it is beautiful and I like climbing 😳. 

Stopping point for today was Colter Bay in Wyoming and in the Grand Teton National Park. We cover 92 miles and got a day ahead of our plans. So tomorrow we’re going to get up a little later, go to Jackson Lodge for breakfast and then ride to Jenny Lake and hike, etc.  So we’ll end up riding about 30-35 miles and seeing more of the Tetons, but not making any forward progress (no complaints from either Dan or I as were looking forward to sightseeing and taking pictures).

I forgot to mention that we crossed the Continental Divide three times today. So one of the signs will be the sign of the day. No surprise, but there were no barns or  Bee Boxes. Might have to think about developing a new fetish. I also forgot to mention that we continue to run into lots of touring cyclists. Today’s highlights were 4 young ladies who are doing the TransAm together and a guy named Mike who started the Continental Divide trail with his 35 year old daughter who bailed on him after only 750 miles (I’m joking because that’s really impressive!).  

All of our belongings are now safely stored in a Bear Box and we’re getting ready for bed.

Pictures to post and then sleep time. 

Night. 

Ian 

Kepler Cascades As seen from the main road through Yellowstone. We didn’t see this one yesterday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A lily pad pond right at the continental divide. Focused on getting this picture and almost didn’t notice where we were. Duh…
Heart 5 Comment 0
The first time and the highest elevation where we crossed the continental divide.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Brianna, Kirsten, Madeline, and Paula. Four ladies riding the TransAm Route. One from Wyoming, one from Austin, Tx, one from Ecuador, and I can’t remember where the fourth one is from.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I think this is Lewis River as seem from the South Entrance Road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A view of the Tetons from across what I think is Jackson Lake.
Heart 9 Comment 0
This view is on the South Entrance Road to Yellowstone as we were heading towards the Tetons. Looks like a road to nowhere or maybe anywhere…ponder that one for awhile.
Heart 9 Comment 0
View of the Tetons from the campground we’re staying at (colter bay)
Heart 5 Comment 0
Not sure if I’ve ever shared what we sleep in. This is the tent Dan and I each use on the nights we camp. We’ve gotten pretty proficient at setting them up and breaking them down.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Bear Box. A serious piece of safety equipment when you camp in bear county.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Shelby ScovelSo you just tell the bear to go into the box? Sounds simple enough 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonMy plan was to get in the box. I actually ch clef to see if you can open it from the inside. 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 92 miles (148 km)
Total: 3,155 miles (5,077 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0