Trying to Process the Devastation - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2022

Trying to Process the Devastation

If you set up your tent in a gazebo to avoid the rain, is that “glamping”?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Beth ArtSounds like common sense to me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Clouds Meet Fog. Looking west as we left Walden, CO
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oh my, another barn. Saw this one about 20 miles outside of Walden, CO. I like the shape and the setting.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat's a beautiful shed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Is this just the coolest police car? It was parked in Rand, CO.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Rand Store. It’s been a family business for 50 years. If I could have carried it, I would have bought more than a Gatorade and postcards for the little ones.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Best darn outhouse ever. And yes I used it.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view from the Rand Store looking south. I’d come to work every day to see that view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sign of the day and educational opportunity as to what the Continental Divide means.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Keith AdamsSticker collector?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonTo Ian GordonThe one when we entered Montana was worse. Could barely see the sign.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking southwest from the top of the Willow Creek Pass 9,683 feet elevation
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saw this coming down the back of the Willow Creek Pass. Reminds me of something from the Lord of the Rings or the Game of Thrones.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A sample of what I stared at for over 20 miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Devastation and Rebirth as seen on the descent from the top of the Willow Creek Pass.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Runner up sign of the day. A glaring statement of the obvious.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today was a really tough day. Not the ride, rather the sobering realization of what the numbers used to describe wildfires really mean. We climbed the Willow Creek Pass from Rand, CO and crossed the Continental Divide at 9,693 feet of elevation. On the way up, it was mostly green. On the way down the other side and for the better part of 21 miles the landscape was totally scarred by fire. Acres burned, percentage under control, and all of the other numbers are just numbers. Seeing the devastation first hand and for 21 miles was overwhelming.  Wildfires are part of the natural lifecycle of forests and the rebirth of the forests is great to observe. But I personally can no longer listen to the reporting on a wildfire and think of it as just another wildfire. 

Moving on to less stoic topics…

Last night we slept in the gazebo of a public park. We pitched our tents on the cement and we’re protected from the downpours. It was kinda funny, but actually really practical because it stinks packing up a wet tent. 

We left Walden, CO and headed out to Rand, CO as our first stopping point. Most memorable parts of Rand:  the police car, the Rand Store, the scenery looking out from the store, and the best damn outhouse I’ve ever seen (yes I took a picture). 

Leaving Rand was the start of the climb up Willow Creek Pass to the Continental Divide. Some people may not know the significance of the Continental Divide so the sign of the day will explain it. The climb was great. The road had ups and downs and curves, and just kept things interesting. At the top I took some pictures of a dad and his kids and of course a selfie I only share with Mrs G. 

We cycled through a couple of small towns like Hot Sulfur Springs. I took a picture there that is runner up some sign of the day. Parshall was another town we bypassed and just stayed on the highway. 

Speaking of highways, Route 125 was a good road. Quiet and plenty of shoulder. We were initially worried that the road might be closed due to flooding and mudslides, but it was open and clear of most debris. The debris was a result of the torrential downpours, hail, and wind that the area got the night before. Now RT 40 was a whole different road. High speeds, lots more traffic, and limited shoulders. Good news though, we both made it through safely. 

Sign of the day….check 

Barn of the day….check 

Educational opportunity….check

Ok my job is done. 

Ian

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 2,639 miles (4,247 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michele Gordon21 miles of burn …..must have been really hard to see this 😞there are not strong enough words to describe the devastation ☹️ I sure hope you have seen the worse of it



Can’t wait to see ya today woohoo ….be safe 😘😘
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gary NuttThe East Troublesome fire that you guys rode through, coming down from Willow Creek Pass, almost wiped out Grand Lake. Because of the fire damage, they are having a tough time with flooding this summer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago