Look Right - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2022

Look Right

Last night we stayed in the Shady Spruce Hostel in Missoula, MT. Keith joined Dan and I so we had new and interesting conversations. Keith was hanging around Missoula for the day and Dan and I were off to Darby, MT. To paraphrase Andy, our recent rafting guide, today was about pedaling lazy. It was a slower, longer day in anticipation of a big climbing day tomorrow (seems like I say that every day). 

Observations about Missoula… clean, hip, nice people, courteous to cyclists (always stopping for us at intersections), and a really good bakery (another theme 😉). In some ways reminds me of a little Portland, OR going back about 5-7 years. 

The title of this entry is inspired by the fact that we road the Bitterroot Bike Path (in the Bitterroot Valley) for about 40 miles today and the path is bordered on the left by the highway and the right by the Bitterroot Mountains, farms, fields, etc. Which would you rather look at? Lots of pictures to prove my point. 

I had an opportunity to take a selfie with the best dressed waitress in Lolo, MT. The award was bestowed upon her by me.  I found a barn really early in the ride and somewhat later more Bee Boxes. Still some snow on the mountains and some horses came over to visit us. 

Very troubled by the sign of the day as it a horrible misuse of a classic AC/DC song. 

The coolest thing about today is that we met Curtis, a Warm Showers host at the grocery store. He invited us to stay at his house, shower, do laundry, and sleep in a bed for a second night in a row. Rumor has it that three nights in a row in a bed and we lose our homeless status. Anyway, Curtis is a great guy who hosts as many as 100 bikers and hikers a year at his house. 

Cool fact (thanks Enid)…Yellowstone is filmed in Darby, MT just about a mile or so up the road from where we are. I’ll try to get a picture tomorrow but no promises. 

Ok that’s it for today. Sleep well, we’re going to!

Ian

Leaving Missoula on the bike path we saw this painting on the side of a building. Not exactly sure what it is but I liked it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Selfie with the best dressed waitress in Lolo, MT.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Found this barn really early in the ride. Not even sure if we were outside of Lolo yet.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is a view from the Bitterroot Bike Path looking east (one of the few times it made sense to look left).
Heart 7 Comment 0
Seriously what self respecting AC/DC fan is not offended by this? Sign of the day in case you’re wondering.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hello horses. Unlike yesterday’s moose, these guys were happy to pose. Beautiful background too.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Enid MeadowsYou know I love this one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Yay! More Bee Boxes. Maybe we have a chance…
Heart 3 Comment 0
Snow on the peaks of the Bitterroot Mountains.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pano from the Old Darby dirt road looking at the Bitterroot Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thought these were amazing clouds. Turns out they are flumes of smoke from a big forest fire 🙁
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Pea Soup Green Machine made it to the Warm Shower host site.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Thank you Curtis for reaching out to us and being such a kind and generous host.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Enid MeadowsThank you Curtis for taking such good care of my brother and Dan! I LOVE your shirt! - Apopka High School math teacher :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 3,493 miles (5,621 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Ben Wa“All right, y’all. Let’s go forward nice and lazyyy.” -said the coolest raft guide ever
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonTo Ben WaOh yeah that was yesterday but today is a different story. About 3,200 feet of climbing begging soon after we start in about 90 minutes. Going right past the filming location of Yellowstone.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Michele GordonHow cool is it that you and Dan while checking out the map and sounding a little “lost” should be overheard by Curtis …..a warm shower host who just so happened to have an opening as his original guests decided to ride extra miles and bypass his place. Perfect ! Timing is everything and you and Dan certainly benefited woohoo! You know what that is right ?
Clean living e clean living ☺️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago