Just Kill Me Now ðŸ˜³ - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2022

Just Kill Me Now ðŸ˜³

Some people call the section of the trip we rode today “The Dead Zone”. Well if that’s what being dead looks and feels like then kill me now (metaphorically) because I absolutely loved the route.  The scenery was spectacular…some called it boring because it didn’t seem to change. But seriously, we rode next to a beautiful, flowing river surrounded by green mountains the whole time. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the temperature stayed mostly in the mid to high 60’s. And the route was an average grade of maybe 2-3%. (As a point of reference, it’s called a dead zone because there are no services available for the whole stretch).  

Got some great pictures of the river, the mountains, and the sky. Sorry no barn because the terrain was not accommodating to fields and/or barns. I’ll keep looking. 

We saw a bunch of fly fishermen and met a river rafting guide (Pelle). He offered us some PB&J and watermelon.  Just another example of the friendly and generous people we’ve met along the way. 

Sign of the day was the welcome to the Luscha Lodge sign. The sign meant we could get a cold drink (of course soda water for me) and a meal!

We reconnected with Keith Adams (riding west to east) at the campsite and he introduced us to Mary Ann from Minneapolis (riding from Seaside,OR back to Minneapolis) and then we met Kevin (riding from St. Augustine, FL to somewhere around Seaside, OR). Lots of riders out there…small groups and solos. Saw one large group, but they were a fully supported group. Everyone else we’ve met is riding self-supported. 

No showers tonight as they wanted $10 per shower 😳. I asked Mary Ann if she wanted to share a shower to help cut down the cost, but she had already showered (only kidding Michele). 

A really cool thing we saw a number of times was “pack bridges”. Took some photos. They are pedestrian bridges over the river to provide safe access across the river for all those who wander. 

Idaho tortured us on the way in but will send us out with a 30-40 mile downhill.  BUT not until after another 13 mile climb of about 2,300 feet. 

That’s it for tonight!

PS. Sorry for this being a day late but had no internet connectivity last night. 

Lochsa River on the way to the lodge. Early in the day and check out that sky.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Lochsa River in Idaho on the way to the lodge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is Pelle the rafting guide who offered us PB&J and watermelon.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Here’s one of those pack-in bridges put in place for “those who wander”.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The sign of the day signaling cold drinks and lunch after 65 miles of riding.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view from the back porch of the Lochsa Lodge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Does anybody know what this is? Does anyone remember using one?
Heart 6 Comment 4
Mike AylingYes and yes.
Telstra formerly owned by the Australian gummint but privatised about 30 years ago still has a few and offers free local calls.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonThey are becoming rarer and rarer. Haven’t used one in a really long time since cell phones are now so ubiquitous.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dana PalmerWe were in WV this week in a ‘radio frequency quiet zone’ so no cell service. We saw 3 pay phones along the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonHi Dana. So not surprised that they still exist in some of the wilds of West Virginia. Enjoy!

Ian
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 3,615 miles (5,818 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1