Il Mondo Piccolo - The Small World: Cremona to Brescello - Cycle Tour in the Po Valley - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2012

Il Mondo Piccolo - The Small World: Cremona to Brescello

Our hotel was on the route out of town since we intended to stay on the north bank of the Po until we reached Casalmaggiore. There are some pretty towns on the south bank but we were already familiar with that stretch of the Po. So off to Casalmaggiore where we would then cross over to the other side of the river.

After our delicious breakfast with good cappuccinos, we set out in high spirits. After about 17 km Janos wanted to take a picture. Whoa, take a picture - but where's the camera? Not where it should have been. We cycled back to the last town we passed through and tried to call the hotel. We had some problems finding the right area code to use from our cell phone and went into the nearest bar for help. With combined efforts, we got a call through to the Visconti. They were happy to hear from us since the camera was on the chair in the courtyard where we had packed our bikes. We asked them if they could send a taxi with the camera to where we were waiting and we would pay his round trip. The plan was a good one and we had the camera back within 30 minutes - the taxi was 35€. You pay for your mistakes, but at least this one was affordable.

The courtyard of our hotel where we packed our bikes, with one slight omission.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Scott AndersonBrilliant idea to have them send the camera to you by taxi. I’ll have to remember that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonHope you don't need it...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonNot likely. I never forget anything, but just in case.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Charmaine RuppoltThank goodness you could get the camera back!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was a hot day, we baked in the sun on the asphalt roads, especially on the roads on the dam crests where there was no shade. But what is better, no cars and no shade, or shade and cars, too? This dam, by the way, wasn't along the Po but was a flood protection at a greater distance. When the Po does flood, extensive protection is necessary.

Riding along the dam which protects the low lying countryside from the Po's floods
Heart 1 Comment 0
Once in a while we saw a church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty flat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Farmhouses and barns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Studying the maps - as if we had a choice which way to go
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Casalmaggiore we stopped for sandwiches, something to drink and a rest in the shade. Then came the worst road of the whole trip. To cross the river, we had to use a major highway. There aren't that many bridges across the Po to choose from. The approach to the bridge on both sides was harrowing with trucks zooming past at a terrific speed. They honked to indicate either that we should watch out or else that we didn't belong there. On the central part of the bridge there was a pedestrian lane with a railing, thank goodness. We were much relieved when we could get off this highway onto our quiet country roads once more.

"The Little World of Don Camillo", a series of stories by Guareschi, was produced as a film in 1951 starring Fernandel. The setting for this unforgettable story of two strong personalities at odds with each other, the one being the priest of the town and the other the communist mayor, was Brescello where we spent the night. It's a wonderful story with Fernandel at his best.

House on the main square in Brescello showing a film strip with Don Camillo and Peppone
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don Camillo standing in front of the church and greeting the mayor at the other side of the square
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIt’s nice to be reminded of this town, which we stayed in also. We came here specifically because of Don Camillo - my parents introduced us to these stories when we were growing up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonMy high school Spanish teacher adored Fernandel, that's how I became acquainted with the stories and film.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Peppone, the mayor, greets in return.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 279 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0